Epiphany

November 26, 2023

It's finally Winter break for us. Hanni and I have been officially together for a little over three months. It was kind of funny actually because my dad was confused when we told him because he thought we were already together. Mrs. Pham was also not very surprised. She said that when we were younger we used to say we were going to marry each other so since then she just thought that we were meant to be. I guess she was right.

"Mom wants you to stay and help make bread today with us." Oh? I don't think I've ever made bread with Mrs. Pham before. I mean I eat a lot of it, but never made it.

"She asked me to help?" Hanni nodded snuggling closer to my side as we lay on top of her bed watching tv.

"Yeah I don't know why, but she really wants you to help us." I nodded, kissing the top of her head. I don't know how much help I would be, the last thing I cooked was toast and I burnt it.

"Okay I'll stay. Have you gotten back your admission letters yet?" Hanni shook her head, sighing.

"No, I probably didn't get into anywhere." I furrowed my eyebrows lifting myself into a sitting position on her bed making her do the same.

"Of course you did. I haven't gotten my letter back either." The girl beside me just rolled her eyes leaning back against her headboard.

"That doesn't mean anything. I'm smarter than you." What the fuck? No she is not!

"No you're not."

"Yes I am."

"No."

"Yes." Ugh whatever I don't care.

"Fine you're smarter than me." I sighed leaning next to her with a frown on my face. Soon Hanni leaned over, pressing a soft kiss to my cheek.

"I'm just playing, you're smart." I smiled a bit, but it was ruined by her next remark. "But I'm smarter." Of course. Before I could even respond Hanni flopped back on her bed and pulled me over her like I was a blanket.

"Hanni?" I furrowed my eyebrows as she held onto me like I was a stuffed animal she was holding against her chest. "Can you even breathe like this?"

"No, not really." She squeezes me tighter against her making me laugh. Why is she doing this? I try to squirm out of her grasp, but she just holds me even tighter if that's possible.

"Why are you trying to suffocate yourself with my body? This will count as murder!" Hanni laughs, throwing her head back on her pillow as she releases me a little bit. I get up slightly, sighing just hovering over the laying girl.

"I just like you being on top of me." Hanni playfully smirks up at me. God she's so annoying. I roll off to the side making Hanni groan in the process. "Wait, why did you move?" I laughed looking at the pout on the smaller girl's face.

"I was literally laying on top of you, If I would have stayed any longer one of your lungs would have collapsed." Hanni just laughs while shaking her head.

"I think I could live with one lung if that means your body would be smothering me." What? What the fuck? "Honestly that sounded more romantic in my head, I'm sorry." Why do I love this girl?

"Okay just stop talking every time you open up your mouth it gets worse." Hanni just nods agreeing with me, making me laugh a little bit. It was silent for a little too long. A room is never silent for too long if Hanni is in it. "Why aren't you speaking?"

"You told me not to." She shrugs, getting off the bed and leaning against the wall looking at me.

"I didn't mean it literally Han. Come here." I pat the spot next to me on the bed, but she just shakes her head. "Seriously?" She then nods. She can not be serious right now. "Come here right now and lay down with me so we can cuddle." Again she just shakes her head.