Chapter 11

SantanaBanks: Dance mom

2,200,000 likes ~ 12,000 comments

---

As I pull up outside of my daughter's dance class, I take a few minutes to finish off my blunt while connecting my phone to the bluetooth speakers so that I can play the mixtape that Aubrey made for Zara.

We wanted her to be able to listen to some of her favorite music without all the profanities and sexual innuendos so Aubs made a mixtape for her. Some versions have been reduced to just the chorus which play on repeat for a minute before moving onto the next song.

I set my phone up on the tripod as I wait on her class to come out.

Usually I like to wait by the door but with the news of engagement circling around, I'm not trying to have anyone ask any questions about it.

"Hey cutie." I bend down to pick up my daughter and she smiles big while wrapping her arms around my neck. "How was dance class?"

"Good." She buries her face in my neck as I wave bye to her teachers before heading straight to my car. It takes me a few minutes to get Zara settled into the car because she's a little tired and isn't helping me put her seatbelt on.

"I'm going to get us some food then you have to go bed." I tell her as I pull out of my parking space while rolling down the windows. "Daddy has a party today and we're both going to be there."

"Ok." Zara yawns loudly.

The next ten minutes are spent jamming out to the songs on the mixtape as I drive us to the nearest cafe to get my daughter some food. I have a caramel iced frappe at my side and plus the weed that I smoked prior to collecting my daughter has me feeling full. 

You used to call me on my
You used to, you used to
Yeah

"You ready, babe?" I glance over at my daughter as I start recording us on my phone.

"YES." Zara throws her arms up in the air before leaning close to me as we start singing her father's song. "You used to call me on your cellphone."

Late night when you need my love
Call me on my cell phone

I pull my daughter closer to me as we sing into the camera and I'm so proud of her pronunciation of the words.

Late night when you need my love
And I know when that hotline bling
That can only mean one thing
I know when that hotline bling
That can only mean one thing

We blow the camera a kiss before I end the recording and that's when I allow Zara to sit in the passenger seat to eat her food. I found us a quiet parking space so she could eat without all the eyes and attention.

"How's your sandwich?" I look down to see her happily pulling the tomato out before taking a big bite of it. "I forgot how much you loved tomatoes, I should probably buy some more tomorrow when I go grocery shopping."