Change

Sora and Lyric had arrived in Castelia city by night, as our young Trap Star sat in silence the whole way. They rented out a hotel room to keep Lyric's parents from worrying too much, but even in the morning, he was quite grumpy.

Sora: ...still hung up on the loss?

Lyric: A bit...

Sora: Hey, chin up. We can't win them all.

Lyric: That's not what I'm frustrated about...

Sora: It's...not?

Lyric: No... I just don't understand... I did everything perfectly... I didn't miss a single step...! I was winning by a landslide...! So how?! How did everything go south so quickly...?

Sora was silent. He wasn't sure what exactly to say. Perhaps it would be best if Sora didn't try to solve problem, and let Lyric figure it out on his own. After all, he's done so plenty of times.

Lyric: Sorry... I know you don't know much about contests and stuff... I shouldn't be ranting about this to you...

The pair land Sally in front of the Castelia Gym.

Lyric: You have a tournament to do, yeah? Get to it. Good luck. I'm going to go practice my routines.

Sora: Uh, okay then.

While Sora was a bit disappointed he wouldn't have his personal cheerleader in his corner this time, he watches Lyric walk off in the direction of Pinwheel Forest. Probably to reminisce. With a sigh, Sora walks into the gym and spots Ike waiting for him at the entrance.

Ike: You're later than the usual. You're typically a day early for these sorts of things.

Sora: Uh, yeah, sorry. I was in Driftveil.

Ike: Driftveil? What, listening the background music or something?

Sora: Y-Yeah, totally.

Ike: Where's the squirt you're usually with?

Sora: Huh?

Ike: I saw you in Sinnoh. Fighting Team Rocket. You were battling with a small girl.

Sora: O-Oh, Lyric? Yeah, we're traveling together. And, he's a boy...

Ike: ...whatever. I just hope you haven't lost your edge. I'll be watching.

Sora: You're not participating?

Ike: Nah. This is a Great Class tournament. I've already reached Hyper Class.

Sora: Already?

Ike: I've been doing nothing but official battles. Oh yeah. Here.

As Ike stands straight, he walks over to his rival and hands him some paper letter.

Ike: It's from Naranja Academy in the Paldea region. They're holding their own tournament in collaboration with the World Coronation Series. Might be a good experience for you.

Sora takes the letter and puts it in his bag.

Sora: I'll check it out.

With a smirk, Ike places his fist on Sora's left shoulder.

Ike: Don't lose before I can beat you myself. Got it, rival?

Sora smiles, and does the same on the mirrored shoulder of Ike.

Sora: Likewise to you. Rival.

———

As Lyric practiced in Pinwheel Forest, he heard the sound of heavy wings flapping and a familiar cry overhead. A Corviknight. He looks up and sees Reese descending from the sky with her partner, Aera.