~Chapter 17~

A younger Tommy swerved around a wooden sword, a smirk on his face as he poked Tubbo with his own. The goat hybrid giggled, swiping his own weapon toward the other child. Tommy flapped his wings though, flying in the air and out of the way of Tubbo’s attempted attacks. Tubbo looked up, brows creased together and cheeks puffed out in irritation. The small brunette started jumping into the air swinging his sword around, huffing in irritation once he realized he wouldn’t be able to hit the flying boy. He stomped his foot, looking up at the other smiling boy. “HEY! WE AGREED ON NO FLYING!” 

“I don’t remember that!” The blond answered, a cheeky grin on his face as he stuck his tongue out at the other. A small smile formed on the irritated boy's face. Tommy laughed, flying back down as Wilbur neared the two, smiling as he ruffled Tommy’s wild blond hair once he was close enough. 

“I think it’s time for lunch, yeah?” Tommy’s huge grin grew, ducking away from Wilbur’s hand and towards the picnic blanket where Fundy had already sat down to eat a sandwich, chewing away as he looked at the other three with big orange eyes. The four sat all together, laughing and talking as they took in the peaceful atmosphere around them. Tommy sat a few feet away, with a warm smile as he looked at his younger self.

He didn’t know why he was viewing his dream like this, usually it was from his perspective and not like he was an onlooker taking in the scene before him like he was now. Either way, he enjoyed it, reminiscing in what was for just a little while. It was something that the four of them used to do a lot when they lived in the cabin, picnics in flower fields and just in the woods, all enjoying the peace and quiet and spending time together. 

It was something that Tommy truly had loved as a child, and in the peaceful times in L’manburg, when Tubbo had been named president, the two had tried to remake this very tradition. It was all a lost cause now, and even then it never felt the same. Not as special as it did when they were naive children just whacking one another with swords or chasing each other around in a game of tag. It was different, quiet, and strange. Footsteps behind the teen made him look back, seeing a just as equally happy Wilbur taking in the view with warm eyes.

He looked down towards Tommy, taking a seat next to his brother with a sigh. Once it became apparent that the other didn’t want to talk yet, Tommy turned away and looked back at the scene before him. Wilbur was wiping off Fundy’s face as Tommy and Tubbo bicker about who got the last cookie. Tommy couldn’t help the smile that he was wearing. 

“It’s nice isn’t it?” Tommy’s head whipped over towards Wilbur, his smile looking almost pained as he took in the view. He was leaning back on his arms, legs crossed in front of himself as he stared at the small family they used to be. “I wish we could do that again, go out into a random field and just… live.” A tired sigh left the man's throat, warm eyes letting some sadness poke out of them. “I miss it. Do you?” Tommy bit his cheek, looking back at the scene just in time to see Tommy break the cookie that he had been fighting Tubbo for in half, giving the bigger half to the goat hybrid with a huge smile on his face. Tommy felt a longing feeling trickle into his soul, making Tommy slowly nod at the question.

“I do.” Wilbur chuckled, the two brothers looking at one another with small smiles. 

“It was relaxing living in that small village like we did, everyone knew everyone there. It was peaceful and quiet.” Wilbur began, eyes looking miles away, probably thinking of the very town he spoke of. “I wonder what it would have been like if we had just stayed.” Tommy paused, finally shrugging after taking the olders words in.