chapter four : Memories

"And then James ended up failing the test anyways," I finish up my story as my younger sisters sat in front of me.

"Even with the spoon?" Cherry asks.

"Wait, did James get his pants back?" Her twin asked.

"I actually don't know... hm," I shrug.

"You seem to be having quite a lot of fun at Hogwarts," Mum laughs as she sets the table for dinner. I had already been home for a few days, it's been a lot of fun spending time with my family. I received a letter from James the day before with his address and time to come over to his place to hang out. It is not until a week from now, after Christmas.

"Y/n, can you take Loree for a bit," I nod and mum gently sets the one year old in my lap. I hold both of my fingers out next to her and she grabs them. I move my hands up and down, making her do a little dance. She makes her little baby laugh and I smile.

Mum and dad have quite a few kids. I'm the oldest, being eleven. The next oldest is Paige who is two years younger. Cherry and Charlotte are twins and are eight. Mae is five and Loree is one and a half. Last but not least, my six month old sister Beverly was born back in June. She's grown quite a bit since the last time I saw her.

"Shit!" I exclaim after a few minutes with Loree. I get up and hand Loree to Paige who gladly takes her.

"Y/N!" Mum yells.

"Sorry mum," I say, already on my way up the rickety stairs up to the attic. I'm the oldest so mum gave me the whole attic to have more space for my room. Also to make sure the younger kids are more accessible at night. I sit down at my desk and pull out a piece of parchment, along with my ink and quill.

    Dearest Sirius,

    Sorry I haven't written yet, it's been hectic being back home. I hope you are well back at Hogwarts. I couldn't imagine being alone for that long. I can;t wait to see you again when we all come back. James invited me over to his house after Christmas. I can promise we won't have too much fun without you.

As much as I love my family, they just don't seem as fun without you, James, Remus and Peter. I really does feel like it was only yesterday James stuck his nose out of the compartment and invited me to sit with the lot of you on the Hogwarts express.

This will probably be the last letter until after new years. My extended family are going to be in and out of the house for the next week. If I don't end up writing before then, Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!

I'm glad I got to spend the last bit of 1971 with great friends like you and the rest.

- Your friend, Y/n L/n

I finish up my letter to Sirius before placing the letter into an envelope and sealing it with a pale green wax stamp, pressed over top of a small pressed flower. I sit back in my desk chair, reminiscing about the year. I think about some of my favourite memories; The day I met all my friends, getting detention after showing up in costume to class on halloween, watching Gryffindor win the first ever Hogwarts Quidditch game we all saw, or the potions disaster of November 19th, 1971.

Among many other special memories, I hold all of them in high regard because they came with new friends. Friends I hope will last for much longer.

"Dinner!" I am dragged out of my thoughts by mum announcing dinner. I grab my letter and run downstairs with it. Before I sit down for dinner, I open the cage where my owl, Noodle Boy. I give him a treat before sending him off with the letter. I sit down at my usual dinner table spot to the right of Paige.

"Who was the letter for dear?" Dad asks, having noticed my previous action.

"One of my friends, Sirius, is staying at Hogwarts for the break so I decided to write to him." I explain as I start eating dinner. Afterwards, I head back up my room and lay sprawled out in bed. I lay there for a while, contemplating what my next action will be. I pull myself up off of my bed and grab my jacket and scarf. I grab one of my big blankets before exiting onto my small balcony. I grab hold of the ladder, making sure the old thing is still stable. Once I confirm I won't die climbing it, I toss my blanket onto the roof above. It hasn't snowed for a few days so the roof isn't snow covered, but it's still bloody cold out.

I climb up the ladder and climb up to the large flat space above my house. I wrap myself in my blanket and lay down on the roof, staring up at the stars above. I notice the Canis Major hovering above me. I close one eye, and with the open one, I trace the invisible lines connecting the star constellation.

The year is coming to a close, and I can't help feeling a bit of sadness. A lot of amazing things happened in 1971 and even with only a week left until the new year, I know it will go by so quickly. Considering Christmas is in two days and the rest of the time will be spent, jam packed with L/n family reunions.

Despite the cold, I end up falling asleep on the roof, wrapped warmly in my coat and blanket.