chapter eleven : Secrets and Quidditch

"You're a what?一" I elbow Sirius.

"A werewolf," The tremble in his voice is obvious. The four of us stare in disbelief at our friend. I mean, it makes sense, with his getting 'sick' every month.

"I have been since I was five, I've been 'handling' it for a long time," Remus looks down, tears threatening to spill from his eyes. He wanted to tell his friends about his condition for a while, but he wanted to do it when he was ready. Now he felt like he had to, given how concerned his friends are.

"Since you were five?" I ask, shock and sadness filling my lungs. Remus nods, not looking up. I can only imagine how scary it is, even just to finally tell us. Remus sniffles and whiles his nose, clearly crying. James goes to sit on the bed next to him, gently putting his hand on Remus' shoulder, careful to avoid anywhere he is injured.

"You know this doesn't change anything, right?" James says softly and Remus looks up at his friend with watery eyes.

"Yeah, just because you turn into an angry puppy every month doesn't make you any less of our friend." I elbow Sirius again, much harder this time. He lets out a yelp and glares at me, holding his arm when I elbowed him.

"This doesn't make you any less of the Remus Lupin we have all grown quite fond of." I smile at him and he looks between all of us and a big smile covers his face as even more tears start to spill.

"I don't think I could have asked for any better friends,"Remus looks down at his hands, his smile still complimenting his features.

~

"Are you ready Y/n?" Sirius Smirks in my direction.

"Of course I am Snuffles!"

"Oh please don't bring that back!" He complains as I mount my broom.

"No way Snuffles," James teases and Snuffles rolls his eyes.

"Okay, our mock game will begin in one minute, everyone get into position!" The Captain announced and all of us get into our positions. I go over with the other players trying out for Chaser and get ready. Sirius is trying for beater and James for Seeker. I have no doubt the two of them will get on the team, me on the other hand, I am not as confident in myself. I let out a shaky and anxious breath. The game starts and everyone starts flying in the directions they are supposed to.

I focus on the game and score a few points by the end. At one point, A bludger was coming right at me. I managed to dodge it just in time for Sirius to hit it away. At that point I was already upside down on my broom and clinging on for dear life. I recovered quickly and got back to the game. I definitely didn't make the position. Some fourth year students scored most of the points for our team and there is only one open spot for chasers. The other kid that tried out for chaser didn't even look like he knew what he was doing.

After a week, the captain called everyone down to the Quidditch field to announce the team. We all line up and wait for the captain to call out who would be on the new team.

"Don't look so disappointed Y/n, they haven't even announced who's on the team yet." Sirius whispers from next to me.

"Well it's obvious I'm not getting in, that Tobias kid scored way more than I did!" I whisper back.

"Okay, starting with our Beaters, Sirius Black and Reagan Hanlock," The Captain announces and Sirius cheers. Hanlock is a sixth year student, so the position will have to be filled again in two years. I know Marlene would have tried out if she was better at Quidditch.

"For our Seeker, James Potter," Sirius and James run up to each other and celebrate, earning a glare from the Captain.

"Last but not least, Our only open position for Chaser goes to Y/n L/n,"

"How is that even possible!" The fourth year fumes, clearly taken aback by not getting the position on the team.

"Mr. Hill, you showed exceptional skills in tryouts, but your teamwork skills are far from where we want them to be." The Captain took a step towards Tobias who had deviated from the line, keeping her put-together yet threatening composure.

"This is bullshit," Tobias muttered under his breath before storming off of the Quidditch field. Sirius and James run over to me, embracing me in a hug and bringing me out of my dazed state.

"We all made it!" James cheers as the three of us jump up and down in a circle. The Captain dismisses everyone and walks past the three of us on her way out.

"Remember, practice starts next week," She laughs a little bit and ruffles James' hair as she walks off. We head back to the common room and inform Remus and Peter about our new found positions on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. The five of us celebrate for the rest of the night before heading to bed.

"Hey Marls!" I call out to the girl who is laying on her bed.

"What?" She says tiredly as I flop down on her bed, hearing a heavy sigh from the girl before pushing me off of her and sitting up.

"You're going to have to give me some guy tips," I smirk and her eyes go wide.

"Did you find yourself a boyfriend!?" Mary screechs from her bed, finally catching the attention of Lily who has her nose in a book.

"Oh absolutely not, but as Gryfindors newest Chaser I can only expect to be receiving quite a bit of attention," I slyly remark as I stand in the middle of the room with my hands behind my back.

"You got in!" Marlene jumps up.

"I got in!" I confirm before the girls each excitedly congratulate me. Afterwards, I fall asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow.

I love how naive I was back then. If only I knew what was to come when I joined the team. I had some of my best years on that bloody team, I made friends and became closer to the ones I already had. But all good things come with a price, like the near death experience I had, traumatised me for weeks and I almost failed a class because of it... but that doesn't happen until sixth year so no need to dwell on it now.