chapter sixteen: Year three

"Got your panties in a twist, Potter?" I say, not taking my eyes up from my notes.

    "She looked disgusted!" James falls down and spreads his whole self over the entire couch. Thankfully, I'm sitting at one of the small tables in the corner or I would be much more upset about Potter taking up the whole couch.

    "Who? Evans?" I dip my quill in my ink and continue writing.

    "She put in an actual request to change partners!" James complains. "Now she's partnered with Snivellus, that greasy snake," I look up at James to see his eyes fixed shut, with his thumb and middle finger clutching the bridge of his nose.

    "Maybe if you didn't act like a creep she might be less disgusted,"

    "At least you got paired with McKinnon, she's good at potions," James pouts.

    "James don't beat yourself up. I'm not going to tell you Lily will come around someday because she might not," I say, finding the courage to be more brutally honest than usual.

"That's not exactly helping L/N," James sighs, annoyance present in his voice.

"Listen to me Potter," I stand up and sigh with my arms folded in front of him. "She may never come around, and you are going to accept that fact. She may never get past your annoyingly persistent personality and your overbearing Quidditch obsession, and there's no chance of her getting past it if you don't show her the part of you that I've learned to come around to,"

"Hey!"

"Shut up! Beat yourself up all you want but you're not exactly giving her much to like about you," I huff and sit back down, angrily scribbling with my quill on my notes, my handwriting messy with anger. I don't look up at James again, even when I hear him get up and head up to the boys' dorms.

I initially feel bad, but it had to be said. I understand I might have been a bit out of line, but it's the truth. It's also very possible that my natural opposition to romance may have an effect on my attitude. Anyways, he had to hear it. I don't mind being the bad guy. James Potter can be mad at me for a bit but he'll get over himself.

~

James Potter does eventually forgive me. He's not the type to hold a grudge (unless it's on Snivellus, the smiley git). Me and Marlene spend quite a bit of time in the library working on our potions project too. Mary and her partner occasionally come to sit with us as well. The four of us spend probably a quarter of our time studying, and the other three quarters are spent laughing and gossiping. Obviously we have to be quiet, can't ruin my reputation as 'library nerd'.

"I heard Frank asked Alice to Hogsmeade!" Emmeline chimes into the conversation.

"Like 'Frank Longbottom' Frank?" Marlene questions.

"I heard that too, it's been long awaited, I remember when in first year hearing rumours about them dating," Mary contributes.

"Speaking of Hogsmeade, who are you guys going with?" I ask, wanting to spend more time with the three of them.

"Dorcas and I are going together, she managed to get her Slytherin friends off her arse so it'll just be me and her," Marlene beams, trying to hide her excitement.

"Going home this weekend, it's my dads birthday," Emmeline shrugs.

"And I've got a date," Mary smirks.

"You're abandoning me for a boy!" I fake gasp. Mary lets out a laugh.

"Sorry Y/n," Mary shrugs.

"Ugh, I don't want to have to go with a bunch of boys," I pout, slouching back in my chair. The four of us then start packing up, seeing as it's getting close to curfew.

"And you say I'm abandoning you for a boy, when you're going with boys, plural," Mary jokes as we leave the library and make our way to Gryffindor Tower.

"This difference is night and day, you're going on a date, while I'm stuck with a bunch of annoying boys who never shut up about Quidditch or pranks," I complain. Honestly I don't mind the four annoying boys, they come up with good pranks and they give me some of the best laughs of my life.

"Yeah, but one of those boys is Sirius Black," Emmeline bumps shoulders with me.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I quirk an eyebrow up.

"Oh come on Y/n! You can't deny he's attractive!" Emmeline swoons.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" I huff.

"Ugh, I would give anything to go to Hogsmeade with Sirius Black!" Mary exclaims.

"You don't have a crush on him do you?!" I ask Mary and Emmeline. my eyes wide.

"You're telling me you don't?" Mary raises her eyebrows.

"Oh, that's probably because she's got a thing for Lupin,"

"Marlene!" I shoot her a look. "I do not like Remus. He's a friend, and we've already been over this." I roll my eyes.

"Fine, fine," Marlene raises her hands in surrender.

"Can we talk about literally anything other than boys?" I groan.

"Fine, when is the next time we should work on our project," Marlene asks, happy to change the subject.

"How 'bout next monday, after classes?" Mary looks between the three of us, all nodding in agreement. We make it back into Gryffindor Tower and all go our separate ways.

~

Hogsmeade isn't all that it's cracked up to be, especially when all of your friends are on dates. Mary went with Mark Haffmen, Peter is going with Sybill Trelawney, Lily is with Severus (not a date but she's still abandoning me), Marlene and Dorcas are attached at the hip, James and Remus have to stay back to work on a project and Sirius Black went with Nora Blithe. I never really understood just how many girls had a crush on Sirius Black until after that conversation on the way back from studying. Only then did I start to notice the other third year girls that swoon over him.

I just walk around the whole time by myself, buying myself a whole pack of lollies before heading to The Three Broomsticks, all by myself, sitting alone, and ordering a Butter beer for one. As I sip on my beverage, I pull out a book and read. Eventually I get bored and leave, just heading back to the castle. I don't think any of my friends realise I was left on my own, because all they did the rest of the night was brag about how much fun they had. I tried to act happy, but I'm not an actor, and went to bed with everyone wondering why I was so grumpy.

~

For the most Part third year is uneventful. So it is forth to be honest. Things really start to pick up in fifth year though.

guess what part i added today. Istg quality is gonna pick up after this. btw idek why i decided to use my OCs family as y/ns family, so from now on, y/n is an only child and herparents names are Donna and John. just thought of those names now. I am going to put minimul effort in. enjoy/