Chapter 4- Reunion

Hailey POV

I'm walking to school, awaiting first period. I'm excited, not because of the class, because of Jake. He always somehow entertains me in class, I can't count how many times the teacher has almost caught us.

I see the school ahead of me and speed walk to the door. I had no reason to, I just did. I push the doors open and enter school, walk over to my locker where I store my stuff and after I usually walk around trying to find Jake. I never really had anyone to hang out with at school until Jake came along.

I put my stuff away in my locker and start walking around the halls. I turn the hall and see Jake. A small smile creeps up onto my lips

It quickly fades when I see Who's next to him.
"Millicent Brooks.."
My fist clenches into a ball when I think of her name.

Some background info if you didn't know, Milly is a year older than me.
I'm a junior and she's a senior. She's also one of the worst people i've met in my entire life.
Ever since I joined this school in freshman year, she's bullied me. I never knew why.

I've heard she's bullied other juniors too, i'm not sure if that rumor is true though.
I didn't want to deal with her today, especially since she's obviously gonna take my only friend from me. Not to mention, she loves to hook up with other people. In other words, she cheats on her boyfriend.

I start to turn around, right before I walk off, I hear the one thing I didn't want to hear.
"Hey, nerd!"
I hear being called out to me across the hall.

Jake POV
This morning I was hanging around the lockers with Milly. She's the girl that helped me to the flower garden that one time at lunch with her boyfriend.
Though it really seems like she was trying to flirt with me.

I see Hailey turn the corner to us in the corner of my eye. I would look up to her but Milly was practically threatening me to look at the new tiktok trend. It was "Two best friends in a room, they might kiss."

Milly seems to notice and looks at her, I thought nothing of it until I heard her say "Hey, nerd!".
Was she saying that to Hailey? Either way, why would she?

I look up because Milly pulled her phone away, and I see Hailey standing there. Obviously, Milly was saying that to Hailey.
"Hey, why'd you call her a nerd?" I ask Milly a bit angry.
"Dont you know? Well I mean you've only been here for like three days—
The point is, Hailey is a loner, she's always been. It's really fun to tease her about it. I mean she's been here three years, how do you not find friends?" Milly said with a laugh

It just made me even angrier.
I walk over to Hailey.

Hailey POV
"Hey, why'd you call her a nerd?" Jake asks Milly. He seemed angry
"Dont you know? Well I mean you've only been here three days—
The point is, Hailey is a loner, she's always been. It's really fun to tease her about it. I mean she's been here three years, how do you not find friends?" Milly said with a laugh

I just put my head down as I let the words sink into my brain.
Suddenly, I feel a hand on my shoulder. I shoot my head up and see..
Jake.
"That didn't make him hate me..?"
As I stare at him saying something to Milly, I'm just shocked that someone.. Someone actually stayed by my side.

Back in freshman and sophomore year, I went through a variety of friends, not many friend groups, I tried to have one in middle school, it ended up falling apart and everyone hated each other.

I hadn't realized Jake grabbed my hand until he started dragging me away. It caught me off guard as he dragged me away, trying to catch myself on balance.

My cheeks grew a bit warm when I thought about him. Jake. Why was I feeling like this? I had only known him for three days.

Those thoughts reminded me to his suspiciously familiar name. I had to ask him about it. Once we finally stopped, my brain was fuzzy with all of my thoughts, that I could barely get a word out

"Are you mad..?" I manage to sputter out

Jake POV
"Are you mad..?" Hailey asks me
My fists clench into a ball, a few seconds later they unclench as I let out a sigh.
"Anyway," Hailey continues before I could even answer, "I need to ask you something."

I look at her confused, what did she need to ask me?
"Do I know you?"
She said pointing at me

I smack my hand on my forehead and grab the finger she's pointing at me with two fingers
"Are you high, or something?" I ask her as I put the arm down.

"No. I mean like I swear I knew you when I was younger."
I sigh again and open my mouth to answer her.
"That's because you do know me. Remember that summer camp we went to, when we were 4?"

Hailey POV

A wave of realization hits me.
"Ohhhhh. That's where we met!" I exclaim. It was kind of excited meeting someone I haven't seen in over 15 years.

"Yeah."
"So what happened to you after we separated?"

"Oh. Well, I moved, to LA. I moved back due to money issues and was enrolled here, nothing much really. I never forgot about you though."

I see his face shine a tint of pink, I put my hand on mine and see that my cheeks are warm too, I shake the thought away waiting for something else he was gonna say to me.

"So what happened to you after we separated?"
He asked me
I put my head down, quickly putting it back up so we didn't start to worry about me.

"Well, uh.. My mom died.." I say putting a smile on my face.
Jake has a worried look on his face, he probably saw right through my bad acting skills.
"Hailey, are you okay?! You didn't have to answer the question if it would make you cry!"
Jake says putting both of his hands on my shoulders

"N-no! It's okay, really, i'm fine!"
I reply. That was my breaking point as a waterfall of tears began falling down my cheeks.

Unexpectedly, Jake pulls me in for a hug. I almost pushed him away, but then I didn't.
I ended up putting my arms around his neck hugging him back as the tears continue falling.

I eventually pull away and Jake smiles at me when we make eye contact
"Did that make you feel better?"
He asked me
I smile back, "Yea. It did. Thank you Jake."

"Okay, so you know how I called you hun yesterday?"
Jake asks me
"Yeah...? What about it."

"I have the best new nickname for you."
"And what is that.?"

"Princess!" Jake smiles with his teeth
"Princess?" I reply confused

"Yeah! I mean, I think you're as pretty as one... But that's not the point!
I wanted a nickname for you, and I choose princess, can't deny. No exceptions."

I think for a second before saying something
"Hey, I have the perfect nickname for you!" I say
"What is it?"

"Simp." I say with a grin
"Simp?! But how am I a simp?"

"I know you've only been here three days, but I see you have eyes for Daisy."
"Her name is Daisy? Pretty name I must say." He replied with a cheeky smile.

"Exactly proving my point on why you're a simp." I say crossing my arms.
"Whatever princess." He crosses his arms back at me

We both start hysterically laughing until the bell rang.

And the rest is history...

no im totally kidding. but there's defo some angst coming in the next chapter so BEWARE