Chapter Ten.

After Lani and Dr Forbes shared the news on the surgerywith Julia and Nic.

Lani stood beside Dr Knight as she explained that the surgery went well but would like a ultrasound every two weeks until she delivers. Lani couldnt look at her brother as he stood holding the woman he love's hand, his nose now wrapped up.

When Dr Forbes left the room Lani followed her.

" You did good Kalani." Her mentor told her.

" Thank you." She replied before walking away.

Lani had made her way to the resident lounge alone trying to calm herself down. Her day has been fine. Then seeing her brother after years. And Bucky, god that'd be a fun conversation later. It was all just weighing in on her.

The door to the lounge opened and Lani turned to see Nic.

" I can't right now, Nic. Can you please just go."

" I never tried to find you because I didn't think you wanted to see me."

" That's bullshit! I disappeared for five years Nic! Five years. I wanted you then more then ever." Lani said as she jumped up.

" How could I have known that? Huh? After everything we went through I thought you hated me!"

" I hated you? Are you sure you not got that the wrong way around?"

" You think I hate you?"

" You blame me, Nic."

" Ofcourse I blame you! Because before you my life was perfect. I had a mom, and a dad who loved me. And after you..." Nic shrugged.

" That doesn't mean I don't love you. You know that."

" Do I?"

" You know what I did for you. I protected you."

Lani stood crying as he walked over to her.

" Doesn't feel like you did." She shook her head.

" Look at you now, Kal. You're a doctor! You never needed me."

" But I did. God Nic." Lani said as she sat down.

Nic sat down infront of her.

" I save babies everyday, I listen to mothers telling me that if it ever comes down to it to save their babies over them and all I wanna do is scream at them because that same choice ruined my life."

" But it gave you a life." Nic told her.

" A life were im resented for exsisting?"

" A life that our mother wanted you to live. You never got to meet her but she loved you, god she loved you Kal." Nic shook his head.

" How would I know that? How would I know what she was like or if she loved me or not. All I ever knew was that all I had was one parent who hated me." Lani said tears spilling from her eyes.

Her brother joined her on the bench she sat on wrapping his arm around her pulling her to lean on his shoulder.

" Trust me. She loved you. She'd talk to you when she was pregnant with you. She said she liked having someone to talk to when ever she wanted."