Chapter Twenty Eight.

Lani had just finished her first surgery of the day and she was scrubbing out.

Will walked into the scrub room and just looked at her, but before he had the chance to speak Addison came in.

" Knight, I need you to head to Boston, they need a fetal surgeon."

Lani turned to her mentor a woman she'd learned to love.

" Why me? Why can't you go?"

" I'm book all day and night. I need you and Halstead to get on a plane asap."

Lani just nodded as Forbes left leaving Lani in a state of shock.

" What not a big fan of Boston?" Will asked her as he turned to the sinks.

" Not really."

Soon enough they were on a plane to Boston.

When they arrived they went to the Chief's office.

" Dr Knight, what a pleasure it is to have you back. And you must be Dr Halstead." Chief Phillips shook their hands.

" Great to be back." Lani smiled.

" What's the status on the patient?" Will asked.

" The patients name is Emily Wallace, in her second trimester with twins. We've realised they have a twin reversed arterial perfusion." The Chief shared as they left the office.

" And the acardic twin, how's their state?" Lani asked.

" There's no missing limbs or head, but we're struggling to find a heartbeat, the heart could just be weak."

" Could be, or there could be no heart at all." Will spoke up causing for Lani to give him a look.

They had made their way to the patients room.

" Hi Emily, I'm Dr Knight and this is Dr Halstead, we'll be your babies doctors today."

The young woman nodded as she lay in the bed alone.

" Do you have anyone you want us to call?" Will asked.

Emily shook her head.

" My parents kicked me out when they found out I was pregnant and the dad he-"

" Your not alone Emily, okay?" Lani said as she took a step forward.

" I am going to do everything in my power to help your babies."

The girl nodded.

" So your twins have something called twin reversed arterial profusion, where one twins known as the acardiac twin's heart is undeveloped or possibly not formed."

The poor girls face dropped.

Lani walked close and sat on the edge of her bed.

" Because of how early on you are, there is a possibility that the arcardic twin could be severely underdeveloped they might not have the organs to survive outside of the uterus."