Chapter 1- where it all went wrong

// a few months later..

Firehouse 51, district 21st and Med were all at molly's after a long day. all the first responders crossed paths after a long case.

Jay and y/n were sitting at the bar talking until Kelly Severide came up to y/n "hey y/n, haven't seen you in a while" kelly says as I turn to him pausing me and Jays conversation "Oh hey kells!" I stand up from my seat giving him a hug.

Jay frowns at kelly's hand placement on her waist, even though they weren't a thing jealousy still flowed through his veins. "you know, we should get dinner sometime, and you know. Catch up" he winks at y/n making Jay clench his jaw "uh yeah maybe, depends when though" I smile "how about this saturday?" kelly asks.

I already had plans with Jay that day and right when i was about to speak, Jay spoke up. "Actually man, she's going out with me on saturday so." Jay says "Oh..well maybe next saturday?" as i was about to speak. Again. Jay said "Every saturday is actually me and y/n's days...so you should choose a different day." Jay says firmly confusing y/n wondering why he was being so defensive.

"I see man. Well y/n, It was nice seeing you but I gotta run." Kelly says glancing over to Jay then back at y/n "Oh alright, I'll see you!" I say as he pulls me into another hug but as my back was turned he gave Jay a glare which pissed him off.

As kelly got far enough, I turned to Jay "Okay what's up." I said with a serious face towards Jay. "What do you mean?" he says looking away drinking his beer. I scoff "No no no, you don't get to do that. You don't just get to talk to kelly like that and then act clueless, cmon fess up."

he looks at me before sighing "Okay..maybe I was just getting pissed that another guy..." I raised my eyebrow and he looked at me hesitation to say something "that another guy was trying to take my lunch buddy." I calmed my eyebrows and started giggling trying to hold my laugh.

"what?"

"nothing" I smile to him.

//

Next morning, Jay couldn't get y/n out of her mind.
Why did he react that way last night when he saw another guy touching her? Is he falling for her? No. That's voights daugther Halstead get yourself together.
he says to himself.

//

While in the car, both y/n and Jay eating their lunches, a call came on the radio.

"5021 come in." dispatch said, I grabbed my radio
"this is 5021 jessie"

"requested detectives on scene on the 93rd street off clinton. possible arson. request made by deputy district chief Boden and firehouse 51."

"copy that, we're 5 minutes out." I said into my radio as Jay started driving

//

We arrived on the scene and met with chief boden
"chief." I nod "Grey. Nice to see you again"
"so what's going on?" Jay asks
"We've detected arson, multiple accelerants scattered throughout the building." We both look at eachother and nod and then look towards the burning building.

it did not look good, it was an oven.

"uh chief, It's not looking good. Wouldn't it be best to pull them out, it's becoming an oven." I said and he nodded

"squad 3, truck-" he got cut off by an explosion.

"oh my god.."
//

"squad 3, Truck 81, Dawson, Shay Report!" We all watched as the debris fell due to the explosion, chief all covered in dust.

Boden repeated those words multiple times until dawson came onto the radio.