1: Anew

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

PAST

"Kaveh! Y/N!" Your mom yells from downstairs. "Come down! We have guests coming over soon." A few seconds later, you and Kaveh run down, trying to see who would get to the bottom step first.

"Hah! I win!" Kaveh exclaims.

"No fair," you huff. "You always win."

"It's because I'm a big kid," he says.

"You're only older by two years," you start. "I'm five, which means I'll be a big kid soon, too, then I'll finally get to win."

Your mom chuckles at the two of you. "Did you clean your rooms?" she asks. You look at her with your bright (E/C) eyes and nod your head. Kaveh mirrors your actions. "Good," your mom says before sitting on the couch in the living room. Both you and Kaveh follow her.

"Mom, when is Dad coming back?" your brother asks.

"Soon, sweetie," she responds. "He's bringing the guests over, remember?" Kaveh nods. "I think you two will like them."

"Really?" you ask, a bit skeptical.

"Yes, sweetheart. They've been my friends for a long time, since high school, actually. I think they also have a son around your age." Both yours and Kaveh's faces lit up.

"New playmate!" you both exclaim.

"Don't scare him off," your mom jokes. Before you and Kaveh could respond, you both hear your dad's car pull up.

"They're here!" Kaveh yells as he jumps off the couch with you following. Your mom guides you two towards the front door. From the front steps of your door, you and Kaveh watch your mom hug her friends as your dad laughs. The four adults catch up in the driveway.

"Kaveh," you whisper. "I think Mommy made it up. I don't think they have a kid. I don't see anyone else." Kaveh giggles and pulls your arm.

"Let's go ask them." You hold on to Kaveh's hand as he drags you to the four adults. You notice a boy with gray hair and bright emerald eyes sandwiched between two adults, who you assume are his parents. Your dad smiles.

"Here they are! Our oldest here is Kaveh," he says, pausing to pat Kaveh's head.

"Hello," Kaveh greets the two politely.

"And Y/N is our youngest," your dad says, placing his hand on your shoulder. You wave and smile at the new faces.

"Nice to meet you two. This is our son, Alhaitham," your mom's friend says. The boy, Alhaitham, waves. The adults continue their conversation, talking about their lives. Kaveh excuses himself, going inside the house. You stayed in your place, staring at Alhaitham, intrigued by his features.

"Why are you looking at me?" he asks.

"Why is your hair gray? You don't look like an old man?" you deadpan.

"Y/N!" both of your parents exclaim, eliciting a chuckle from Alhaitham's mom.

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

PRESENT

"Y/N!" Kaveh yells from the bottom of the staircase. "Hurry up! We're gonna be late."

"Coming!" You respond from the top of the staircase. You pull your large suitcase behind you, hoping you didn't pack too much for college.