Epilogue

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

PAST

You, Alhaitham, and Kaveh were playing together in Alhaitham's backyard. The sound of laughter danced in the air as the three of you enjoyed the last taste of summer before the hectic school year would start. Your parents sat with Alhaitham's having a casual chat.

Alhaitham's dad wasn't paying attention to the conversation, instead choosing to look at you and his son. The two of you sat under the apple tree talking since Kaveh went inside to grab a drink. He couldn't hear what you were saying, but saw how much you made Alhaitham smile.

"Hon," Alhaitham's mom calls. "Is everything okay?" she asks looking in the direction of his gaze.

"It's fine," he replies. Your parents follow his gaze, too. A warm smile paints your mom's face while a mischievous glint shines in your dad's eyes.

"They're going to date someday," your dad blurts out, causing your mom and Alhaitham's mom to look at him in surprise.

"No, I agree," Alhaitham's dad says. "I'm actually willing to bet on it."

"A bet you say?" your dad thinks aloud. "How much we talking?"

"$100 says they'll date when they're in high school."

"What?" your mom says.

"I'll double it," your dad smirks. "$200, but I know my daughter. I think college."

"I'll match it," Alhaitham's mom chimes in. "$200. They're going to date the summer before Alhaitham goes to college."

"Great," your dad smiles. "So the pool is $500."

"Oh my my my," your mom sighs. "You guys are insane! They're only seven and eight!"

"Just speculating," Alhaitham's mom shrugs. "There's nothing wrong with that."

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

PRESENT

You, Kaveh, and your parents were at Alhaitham's house waiting for midnight to strike. To pass the time, everyone decided to do something different. Kaveh was on their living room couch watching a movie. Your parents and Alhaitham's mom sat with him, entranced in their own conversation. In another room, you sat with Alhaitham at the piano bench. Currently, he was playing a piece from the book you gave him for Christmas.

You watch as his skilled hands glide across the stark white keys, gently tapping them in the rhythm of the song. His viridescent eyes narrowed in focus as he played. The melody filled the air, bringing a gentle smile to your face. Once he was finished, you clapped for him.

"That was beautiful," you say.

"Thank you," he replies while his eyes lingered on you.

"What?"

"Nothing, I'm just excited for the future."

"Future as in an hour from now?" you ask, referring to the new year.

"Well," he says sheepishly. "That and every year after." You felt a familiar fluttering sensation rising in your chest.

"What are you gonna do after college?" you think aloud.

"I did an internship at the Akademiya this summer," he says, mentioning the research facility.

"Ah, I remember that," you nod.