20: Christmas Eve

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

PAST

"Sorry Kaveh couldn't come," you apologize. "Mom said his stomach wasn't feeling good."

"It's okay," Alhaitham's mom smiles.

It was currently summer. The three of you had plans to spend the day together, but with Kaveh not feeling well, he had to stay home. You, Alhaitham, and his mom were now walking to your destination.

"We're still going to the park right?" Alhaitham asks. His mom nods.

"Yes."

Once the three of you arrived at the park, a smile erupted onto your face. Every person in Sumeru was familiar with this park, as it was built around Irminsul, the large tree in the very center of the city. The smell of freshly watered grass filled the air as people and pets ran in the open field. Nearby was a playground with a few benches and a picnic area. To top it all off, an ice cream truck was parked nearby, selling ice cream to the parkgoers.

"Do you guys want some ice cream?" Alhaitham's mom offers.

"Yes please!" you excitedly squeal. Alhaitham nods his head in agreement.

"Come on then," she replies. With you two in tow, Alhaitham's mom lines up to get ice cream. Once she's at the front, she orders Alhaitham a plain vanilla scoop and your favorite flavor.

"Thank you!" you beam.

"Of course," she smiles. "Wait, before I turn you two loose, I want to take a picture for your mom."

"Okay," you shrug.

Alhaitham's mom leads you to an empty bench, shaded by Irminsul's canopy. You sat together with Alhaitham, each of you clutching your ice creams. "Now smile," Alhaitham's mom instructs as she held out her phone. You flash a bright grin as you lean your head on your friend's shoulder. The silver-haired boy's lips curve upwards as he looks in the direction of the camera. Alhaitham's mom happily snaps the picture, capturing the moment in time.

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

PRESENT

As promised, your two families would spend the holidays together. Currently, it was Christmas Eve. Your mom insisted on everyone spending the holiday at her house then New Years at Alhaitham's.

"Oh, Y/N, can you set the table?" your mom asks as she and your dad put the finishing touches on tonight's dinner.

"Yeah, sure." You got up from the couch and went to the kitchen. After gathering the plates, you set them on the table. You do the same with the silverware and glasses.

Once you were finished, you take a quick glance at your family's Christmas tree, specifically Alhaitham's present. The sleek grey box decorated with an emerald green ribbon stood out to you from all the other wrapped boxes. Anxiety nipped away at you, hoping he would like the gift.

Sure, Kaveh did say Alhaitham would like whatever you got him, but you felt so much more pressure to get him a good gift this year. After all, most people make such a huge deal about the first Christmas with their partner.

The ringing of the doorbell broke you out of your thoughts. "I'll get it," you call. Once you opened the door, your eyes widened slightly. Alhaitham and his mom stood together with bundles of presents in their arms. You greet them with a warm smile and move to the side to let them in. "Here let me help you," you say as you take the presents from Alhaitham's mom.