7: A Morning With You

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

PAST

Alhaitham was in his bedroom, finishing his homework so he could finish a book his mom had given him the day before. After finishing the last part, a soft noise caught his attention. Peering his head out his bedroom door, he glanced down the stairs. He saw his dad, sitting at a piano bench, expertly tapping the keys producing a beautiful melody.

The five-year-old was stunned, amazed at the amount of skill his dad displayed. Before Alhaitham knew it, he was down the stairs and standing behind his dad.

"Dad, can you please teach me piano?" the gray-haired boy asks. Alhaitham's dad turns to look at his son.

"Okay, come here," the man replies as he pulls his son on his lap. "Let's start with the basics."

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

"I'm learning how to play piano," Alhaitham mentioned to you and Kaveh while spending an afternoon at your house. The three of you were sitting at your mom's dining table doing homework and eating snacks together.

"That's awesome!" you beam.

"How long have you been playing?" Kaveh asks.

"A few months. I want to play as well as my dad someday!"

"I'm sure you will be," your brother says.

"Can we hear you play?" you ask your gray-haired friend. He shrugs in response.

"When you two are at my house next, sure. I've been learning this really hard song, and I'd love to play it for you guys after I master it!"

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

PRESENT

Kaveh had yet another huge project, and despite being in his room, with the door closed, and wearing his soundproof headphones, Alhaitham still couldn't find enough peace to do his homework. The gray-haired male sighed.

He's not an impulsive man, yet he knew he had to get out of the dorm, so he reached for his keys, headphones, and phone before leaving his room. Though it could've been viewed as unconventional to take a nighttime walk at this hour, Alhaitham didn't care. He just wanted to get out.

He spots Kaveh working on his latest project, sketches and diagrams littered across their shared dining table.

"Hey, I'm going out for a walk," Alhaitham tells his blonde roommate.

"Okay, hope you get lost," Kaveh replies, not bothering to look up from his work. Alhaitham rolls his eyes in response, swiping Kaveh's keys as he leaves.

As he stands in the elevator, Alhaitham wears his headphones, putting on a random playlist. As soon as the elevator stops, he exits, and quickly makes his way out the building.

With no destination in mind, he follows a tree-lined path. The chill from the crisp autumn air greets him. Maybe I should've worn a thicker jacket.

Alhaitham wasn't the type to indulge in nature that much, but he knew how to appreciate it. The man sighed as his verdant eyes drifted to the treetops. Their red, orange, and gold hues captivated him. He watches a leaf fall from a tree, fluttering as it falls to the earth.

A small smile graced his face. He wished you were walking next to him, taking in the scenery. He could already picture your (E/C) orbs taking it in with a sense of childlike wonder. A chuckle escaped his lips.