Sad young William

Have this short oneshot while I'll try to work on something longer.

It's a little angsty ig. William realising his mother is dead and won't come back...

_______________________

The small boy sat at the mattress of his bed, holding the frame with a picture he took earlier. The image was black and white with a woman in it. Her light hair was shoulder length and was curly at the end. She wore a long and thick looking coat, from under it could be seen a little lighter from it pants that ends before her ankle. In the picture it was obviously winter if you would look at how warm the woman was dressed and at the snow on the ground and in her hair.

Small tears falled from the boy’s eyes and to the glass the picture was protected with.

Two pairs of paws were heard from the half closed door of the boy’s room. The said door widened more and a shaggy head of a dog pooped out of the doorway. The animal entered the room and strolled to the young. It laid its fluffy head on his lap and whined. The boy pried one of his hands from the picture and to the dog’s head to pet it. The boy smiled softly at the creature.

“William, Dinner’s ready!” A man’s voice yelled from the corridor behind the door. When the boy didn’t answer, hard boots started to march to the room. The man peered to the room. His eyes landed at the crying boy on the bed. He frowned and quietly moved closer to William.

The boy looked up when he heard the footsteps in his room. He focused on the movements of the men when he sat beside him on the mattress. When his eye again fixed on the frame he noticed how much he wetted the glass.

“She won’t come back, right?” The boy whispered.

The older’s hand trailed to the other’s back to rub circles in it. “I’m sorry, William”

The boy weeped harder.

“She’s in a better place now”. The other continued.

“I know but… Couldn’t I come with her?” His hand petting the dog stopped without his realizing it. “It’s my fault she isn’t with us now”

“William” The man said sternly “Don’t you dare say that. If you would do something then you would be gone too and no one would kept me company”

“I’m sorry. I just-”. A loud sob cut off the boy.

The man had now his both hands on the boy and was hugging him, rocking back and forth a little.

The dog looked at the scene with a tilted head and sad eyes. It knew something was wrong.

“It’s not your fault”

_________________________________

Beginning: 24.01.2022
Ending: 24.01.2022
Time: about 42 minutes

Pages 2
Words 426
Characters 1794