grow too fast

W - drunk people, mention of death

•••

William stumped through the front door. It was black outside, maybe 2 a.m. Everyone was supposed to sleep.

With jelly legs he arrived in the kitchen. His main thought was to drink water for his sore throat.

He found the sink and moved his head under the tap. The water runned straight to his mouth.

"Uh- William?" A voice echoed in the room. The man's eyes looked through the kitchen.

There, with a lit cigarette in hand, was Michael. He looked at his father with a worried gaze.

The man doesn't care if he's smoking. He's old enough to decide what's good for him. So as long as he's not taking anything from his stack, smoking or drinking, he's good to do it.

William took his head out of the sink. "Is that mine?" He pointed at the stick.

"Uh-no. It's from Jeremy"

The man tore it out of Michael's hand. He took a long drag of it and held it in. He returned it to his son and slowly exhaled.

"Is everything ok?"

"Yea, peachy" he chuckled. "I just don't - don't want to…" William drifted off.

The boy snapped his finger in his face and the man snapped out.

"I don't want to die, yet" he finished.

"What?" Michael's eyes widened. Does he not know about something? Is his father going to die like his mother?

"Lora is dead… I'm probably going to see her soon. I- I don't want to. It's too soon for me.  I won't probably even get to her. If there's something after life then I'm going straight to hell "William ranted. His eyes started to water.

"Will- Father…" Michael tried to say something to cheer him up but… he's shit at it. Like his father, he can't comfort even if his life depended on it. Instead, he stretched out his hands for a hug. William gladly took it.

"I have a plan to make us live forever, Michael. We will die and come back and then… we will walk around earth like Gods. I just need to take a few lives for us to be immortal. I'll…" William's words got cut off with his own laugh. He tightened his grip on Michael.

"Father, let's get you to bed" the boy proposed.

"No, no, no, no… they will be there. These brats won't leave me alone" he growled in the last part. "They're going to kill me before I'll finish"

"Wait, let go for a moment" Michael showed him off lightly. He took a glass laying on the counter and poured water in it. The boy took out a pill from a pack laying nearby and dropped it in the water. "Here, drink. It'll help you relax"

"Thanks" the man took the glass from his and gulped it down.

"Let's go" he took his father's hand and led him to his room. When they were inside he helped William to lay down. The man took off his boots and cost before that.

While he was slowly going to sleep Michael sat on the bed and examined his father. His health worsened after the boy's mother died. The man these days is only on pills and a few pieces of pizza from his work.

He needs to do something before the man will kill himself with his stupidity. His father doesn't even realize it.

Michael for sure had to grow too fast.

•••

WC - 569