Chapter 8

𝐏𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕(𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐨𝐯 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞)

Tsunami looked so impatient as we came closer and I had the urge to let out a snort of laughter, but that didn't happen of course, that would be un-princess like. The SeaWing's tail shifted, rustling the trails of leaves that spilled across the floor and out onto the mountainside. I glanced curiously at Moon as she quickened her pace and flicked Kinkajous tail with her own as she passed. I looked down the tunnel again as a loud noise made me almost jump out of my scales.

BONG! BONG! went the gong, only twice this time.

"Hello!" Tsunami said. "Welcome to your first class. Nice work finding the right cave. Peak, Kinkajou and Moonwatcher, right? Oh, be impressed, l've been practicing so hard to memorize all of you. Thirty-six new names! Easy as cows for Starflight, but a whole lot trickier for me and Clay, believe me. I mean, it helps that I knew some of you before, of course."

"Like ME!" Kinkajou trilled.

I noticed that she hadn't called me princess Peak, just Peak, which made me feel a little more relaxed. 

Someone moved in the tunnel behind me and I went to sit down next to Moon and Kinkajou before I turned to see a smallish MudWing coming into the cave with a SeaWing close behind him. I didn't recognize the MudWing, or the SeaWing for that matter but-

"Turtle!" Tsunami said enthusiastically interrupting my thoughts. "Oh, good, I asked to be given your winglet first. Hey, everyone, this is my brother. Can you believe I have a brother? Or a million brothers, apparently, but I'm just assuming this one's the best since he's here right now" She slung one wing over his shoulders and gave him a toothy grin.

Turtle smiled back at her. "It's true, I am."

I let out a small snort at that but covered it with a cough as Turtle grinned at me and my friends, I decided to call them that because I was kind of stuck with them. Maybe I'll ask Tsunami if we really are. I suddenly noticed that Moon studied the green SeaWing dragonet, as if remembering something in slight suspicion and I tilted my head even more confused now.

Moon sighed in what seemed like defeat. I continued staring at her and she noticed and quickly ducked her head. Well, that totally wasn't weird. I thought. Turtle was also looking at Moon as she got caught staring and he smiled, but there was no clear emotion in his expression.

"This is my clawmate Umber," Turtle said, turning to the little brown MudWing.

"Oh!" Kinkajou said. "Clay's brother!"

"Sora's brother" Moon whispered, recognising the shy MudWing she and Kinkajou had met in the library. Kinkajou had babbled on about her when explaining to me.

"That's right, Umber said and I smiled warmly at him and his eyes widened momentarily as a flash of recognition crossed his face.

"Ooo, the Jade Winglet is so cool," Kinkajou said happily. "I wonder who we'll get for our IceWing and SandWing. Does Sunny have any sisters?"

"Actually," Tsunami said, "after yesterday, we decided to switch a couple of dragons around, since you guys seemed like a good match."

She flicked her tail at Winter and Qibli as they stepped into the cave.

"You've already met, you're all interested in scavengers - we think you'll fit well together."

BONG! went the warning bell one final time.

I put on a bored look and stared into Qibli's warm black eyes, which were staring right back before I rolled my eyes slightly and turned away. I silently swore at myself for turning straight for him before staring at Tsunami.