Chapter 14

𝐓𝐢𝐦𝕖 𝐒𝐤𝐢𝐩

Peaks 𝐏𝐎𝐕

The history lesson cave was far down inside the mountain, at the intersection of three winding, narrow tunnels. There were fewer of the fire globes along these tunnels; the ones here were shades of orange and blue, and they were interspersed with flickering torches.

I had noticed that Kinkajou edged quickly past the open flames; the RainWing also didn't love the claustrophobic closeness of the walls or how much darker it was this far down. 

I felt rather similar to her, there was almost no space to stretch my wings out and there was no sky above me. I hated small spaces because back home the palace was completely open to the air outside.

Inside, the history cave's stone walls were covered in maps, the paper curling up at the edges, with different borders and years written on each one. Stacks of scrolls were piled untidily everywhere, overflowing the wooden racks provided for them.

Webs stood in the center of the cave, waiting for everyone to gather in a circle around him. There was a lingering feeling that he was the one who'd chosen the space, and that he preferred the dimmer, more underground feeling. He was the SeaWing who'd brought the fish in the net, and he was a lot older than the prophecy dragonets. Kinkajou grinned at me from next to Moon and I grinned back. 

I entered the cave a few moments after Moon and Kinkajou, and then the rest of the Jade Winglet filed in, and so did Sora's. As each dragon entered, I noticed that Icicle and Sora sat on opposite ends of the cave and didn't speak to each other. The other NightWing was the male uninspiringly named Bigtail, the one Pike had growled at; now she realized they were clawmates. She guessed that would be an uncomfortable cave to sleep in tonight. Bigtail  glanced at Moon and then quickly away, as if he didn't want to be associated with her. Pike slid past him, glowering, and nearly flicked Bigtail's nose with one of his wings. I wrinkled my nose as I took in the level of hostility in the room. 

That was when I noticed the other SkyWing. He had a horrible scar across his snout, as if he'd been in battle. But I knew better, almost instantly I had recognised him and I internally scoffed.

Flame, I remembered, shooting him a glare. Talons of Peace.

He'd hidden with the underground peace movement instead of fighting in the war. I took a breath before directing my attention back to Kinkajou as she spotted a small blue-and-gold RainWing, and dragged Moon over to her, me following at a much more dignified pace. 

"Moon, Peak, this is Tamarin. Tamarin, Moon and Peak are our new best friends. Tamarin! Peak's a princess! Can Tamarin touch your face?" 

"It's all right, I don't have to," Tamarin said, smiling. I saw the pale film across Tamarin's eyes and remembered that the RainWing was blind, seemingly at the same time as Moon.

"You can." Moon said, and let her talons touch Tamarin's. The RainWing brushed her claws gently across Moon's scales, horns, and snout, and for a moment before I let Tamarin touch my face too, her talons brushed against my pale red scales. 

"Have you figured everything out yet?" Kinkajou asked Tamarin. "She had the rainforest all memorised, but of course this is a whole new place," she added to Moon and I. "So Queen Glory arranged for her to come early and spend a few days walking all the tunnels. I bet you know Jade Mountain better than anyone now."

"Ha," Tamarin said. "Well, I'm getting used to it. It's useful to have walls, in a way."

"I can't wait for suntime, though," Kinkajou said.

"Everyone sit!" Webs ordered, interrupting the conversation.

I spotted Qibli looking over at us and I gave him a small wave before turning my attention to a large Sandwing that just came in.