13

The rays that was illuminated by the orange disc draped through the clouds that effaced the blue skies

The rays that was illuminated by the orange disc draped through the clouds that effaced the blue skies. Strips of gold highlighted their sleeping bodies, both of them in their deep slumber. It has been a long time since Renjun had slept without being woken up, and a long time since he didn't have to think about having to wake up at a specific time.

He stretched his arms, forcing his eyelids open. A weight was upon his chest, though, a comfortable weight. He glanced down, his vision still a blur. His mind was barely working to recognise that there was a girl on top of him. The moment he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, he recognised the pristine features of the girl. He inhaled sharply, muffling his shock. His heart sung for a moment but all he could do was force it to calm down.

Renjun failed to hold back as his finger lowered down upon her nose, gently drawing a thin line from the bridge of her nose to the top. Her skin was like glass, reflecting a subtle glow that enhanced her beauty.

"She's so pretty..." Renjun whispered under his breath. Unexpectedly, her eyes fluttered open, meeting his. She was at a loss of words for a couple detrimental seconds. Reality finally smashed her on the head.

"Holy shit what the fuck you creep" Hannuri screamed, clutching onto herself with her own hands.

"Calm down dumbass" Renjun raised his hands in defence "I didn't do anything"

"I said: do. not. cross. the. line" Hannuri tried to show Renjun the 'clear' line that she drew yesterday.

"I don't fucking know when you ended up on top of me!" Renjun slipped out of bed, crossing his arms over.

"I was not on top of you" Hannuri scoffed, throwing the blanket over her head to muffle her embarrassment.

"Oh whatever, get up. We need to go find our car before the castle sends 100 guards looking for me" Renjun pulled her up even despite her complaints. The room smelled strangely of a gentle floral smell—it smells rather refreshing and vibrant, even a bit zesty with an addition of a soft woody smell. It was a unique smell, yet, it worked well in an unexpected clash.

"Wait Renjun, the essence" She took the spatula off her handkerchief. She pulled out a bottle shaped into a cube, the corners decorated with intricate gold patterns. Gently and carefully, she scooped it in, allowing the violet coloured essence to fill the bottle to the rim. She then secured the top with a lid that was shaped into a rose, the glass tinted a pale pink.

"I got this bottle from an old lady who I helped out often. She's gone now though, so this is the only nice looking bottle I have" She placed it in Renjun's hand "Take care of it"

Renjun held the small bottle in his fingers, carefully turning it around to scrutinise this beautifully made object. He found the design so pretty, like he was holding the home of a fairy in his hand. He wouldn't dare think about ever losing this treasure. Opening the lid, he took a whiff. Immediately, he felt as thought he transported into a field of flowers. The flowers were a dancing rainbow, as if light and music had found a new way to blossom together.

"Yah Renjun" She nudged him, snapping him out of his daydream.

"Call me sir, Hannuri" Renjun slipped the bottle into his pocket.

"Call me sir, Hannuri" She mimicked. The two made it outside, navigating the city and luckily, they found Renjun's car parked on the border of the village. Hannuri waved her final goodbyes to Hanyuri. For the first time in his life, he didn't want to go back home.

They really should've taken the side door

The moment Renjun pushed open the grand doors, his heart dropped. There stood the king himself, along with the maids that often served him.

"Father..." Instinctively,  he wanted to clasp Hannuri's hand, as if to hide her from the wrath of his own father. But he stopped himself. Both of them would be in even more trouble if they were seen intimately together

"Huang Renjun where were you" His father's voice shook the room, causing Renjun to jolt.

"Sorry. I was craving uh fruits so I went down to the market to get some"

"For the entire night?"

"Couldn't find the apple..."

"Huang Renjun come with me, Byul Hannuri go with the head maid" His father grabbed a renjun by the arm and forcefully dragged him across the room "Neither of you are allowed to go till you give a proper explanation. I don't want to hear anything about apples"

His father wouldn't do anything to his son, right? After all, Renjun is his son. But his father didn't have a problem whipping him...

Hannuri thought as she was jerked across to the secluded meeting room. She was thrown on the chair, two beady eyes staring her down.

"Byul Hannuri. You violated the contract by leaving the vicinities unauthorised and you manipulated the Prince-"

"I did not manipulate him into anything" Hannuri scoffed, throwing her leg over her other.

"and talking back to your senior" The head maid slammed her ruler down in the table "What were you doing with the prince?"

"Picking flowers" Hannuri wasn't technically lying.

"Listen, I'm not here to joke with you" The head maid grabbed her arm, giving up with the negotiation as a whole as she practically towed Hannuri up the stairs, throwing her inside her own room. Hannuri finally sensed the seriousness of this situation. Her expression switched to panic immediately, clambering up as she tried to keep the door open. The door slammed in her face, leaving her and her fists against the wooden door.

"Yah" Hannuri thumped the door "Yah, I can't be left here. The rent for my sister...It due tomorrow please I need to-"

"You should think about about the consequences before you act, Hannuri"

She heard the footsteps diminish. Helplessly, she leant back against the door until she feels the reassuring solidity of the door frame against her spine.