21

Renjun's eyes widened

Renjun's eyes widened. Protestors. He never knew that they would catch up.

Grabbing the clueless girls shoulders, he forced her inside the nearest fruit stall, shoving her head down so the two were hidden behind the walls.

"Whats going on?" Hannuri asked, clearly puzzled at the sudden change in demeanour

"It's the-" Another bang went off. People began to frolic and holler. Screams of men and women reverted off the walls and drowned the once serene atmosphere. The lively and homey village had turned into a war zone.

Renjun clutched onto her, holding her close to his chest. Renjun was sensitive to loud sounds ever since the first time he heard his father smash things in his office, but for her, she was priority. He cupped his hands over her ears to muffle the sounds whilst he squeezed his eyes shut.

"It's the protestors. They were way far west before. I didn't think they would get here this quick. Father...father taught me about this and-and I should be-" Renjun moreso murmured to himself. As Prince, he didn't just grow up with a silver spoon in his mouth, but he also had duties. He knew he should be with his father plotting the next course of action to protect this kingdom, yet all he cared about was protecting the girl within his arms.

He was a disappointing son, not to his father but to the kingdom. He had selfishly chosen to be with her at the most crucial times. Love blinds many. He wouldn't forgive himself if he let her get hurt under his watch.

"They're fighting against the government for independence...in order to do that, the protestors need to get rid of the only thing that matters to the government—their people" Renjun sounded breathless. Despite Hannuri's ears being covered, she could make out his laboured words. In the era where independence was all that was fought for, no one was ever safe.

"It'll be OK in a bit..." Renjun pressed his cheek against the top of her head, her body tightly curled up against his. Hannuri felt safe within his arms, like his arms were a pair of wings blanketing her. She couldn't see anything and could faintly hear the gun shots every so often.

She could only hear his heartbeat against his chest. It was racing, like an unleashed bull. The hammer behind his chest pounding against the surface.

"Renjun" She said softly.

"Mm?" He responded.

"I'm sorry"

Another gunshot went off, startling the two

"I'm sorry...I forgot your identity I...you have responsibilities..." Hannuri sighed, defeated "I can't be your main priority". This whole protestors war reminded her of just how different he was to her. Even in ragged clothes, he always had to wear a crown on his head. His blood was gold. It held great value.

"Shut up" Renjun gritted his teeth. The two stayed like this for a bit, relying on each other to keep one another safe. They clutched onto the inexpensive clothing that they wore and prayed to dear god that if one of them was to be shot, it would be themselves. It was beautiful just how much they wanted to protect each other. Both were willing to take a bullet to the heart just to save the other.

Suddenly,

Silence.

It had gone quiet for a bit. Hannuri leant away from him, staring up at his watery eyes. He had been crying through that.

"Are they gone?" Hannuri asked, tenderly

"No" Renjun lied. They, in fact, have left. Renjun knew damn well that they had left. But he wanted to stay this close with her, for just a bit longer. He wanted to take advantage of their close proximity. He just wanted to hold her for longer than he should've. He stared at her with such longing and admiration. Everything about her made him feel at ease. He wanted to hold her within his palm and take her everywhere.

He wanted her.

Hannuri chuckled "They're gone, aren't they". A blush overcame Renjun's cheeks, causing him to scratch the back of his head. Hannuri crawled out, squeezing her arms out through the little space they were given.

Until,

They heard the last defeating bang of a bullet. Pain shot through her arm. The sudden blast echoed through her body as she felt a white-hot surge of pain rip through her shoulder. She crumpled to the ground, clutching at the wound as if that could stem the flow of blood. The reality of what just happened crashes over her like a wave. She's been shot. Her thoughts race as she tried to process the excruciating pain and the fear of what's to come.

The sight of her blood splattering onto the ground made him feel sick to his stomach. Renjun is frozen in place, unable to move or even speak as he watched the person he cared about suffer. The world around them slowed down, and all he could focus on is her pained expression. In that moment, he swore he would do everything in his power to make it stop, to protect her and keep her safe.

But she didn't let out one since shout of agony.

"Hannuri" Renjun scrambled forward, dragging her back behind the stall. He should've known someone was waiting outside for one victim to fall under their hands. Filthy protestors.

"Oh my god" Renjun placed a hand on top of the wound on her shoulder in a futile attempt to stop the bleeding. Hannuri, with her unwounded arm, placed a hand on top of his with reassurance.

"I'm OK. It's just an arm" She stammered out despite the pain. It was a gun wound. She could die of blood loss. If things couldn't get worse, a body appeared next to the two. Thankfully, it was a familiar face.

"Renjun"

Renjun whipped his eyes up to meet Jaemins as he clutched onto Hannuri's wound. Her face was morphing into an expression that tried to hide intense pain

"Your father...your father has fallen ill. He had a heart attack after you left and the protestor's began storming" Jaemin spluttered out his eyes falling onto Hannuri. Jaemin, in absolute panic, ripped a piece off his shirt, tying it around the girls arms.

"What?" Renjun almost screamed whilst trying to tend to the wounded girl in his arms.

"I just came back from the Huang mansion. They need you back Renjun. You're the direct heir and the kingdom will fall into shambles if you don't go back and clean up the mess. There is no one else who has the right to sit on the throne besides you" Jaemin pulled Hannuri up onto his back with the slight help of Renjun "You're the next King Renjun. If your father doesn't make it...you know how it works"

Renjun shot his eyes to Hannuri, worry plaguing his face. He grasped the girls hand in fear that they would seperate all over again.

"Hannuri..." His voice dropped with concern. He couldn't bring himself to let go of her.

"Go" Hannuri whispered, energy draining from her body.

"I cant just leave you-"

"You need to go Renjun. I'm dead serious. Leave her with me" Jaemin pleaded. Renjun was conflicted. Somehow he couldn't bring himself to leave Hannuri when she was hurt. He promised himself he would
protect her. He failed to do so.

Renjun wouldn't let go of her hand despite his own kingdom being in crisis. He was told this exact thing was going to happen one day, but he didn't know it was going to come so soon

"Go Renjun, please. For your people"