17

Renjun stood in the masquerade, eyes scanning the area looking for the particular girl that shared a kiss with him

Renjun stood in the masquerade, eyes scanning the area looking for the particular girl that shared a kiss with him. His father insisted that today they were to attend the masquerade to find Renjun the girl he had his eyes on. Yet, he was adamant of not letting Renjun's maid come with him. This seemed odd to Renjun, but then again, his father had never liked Hannuri.

Renjun leant against the wall, taking a sip of the red wine in his hands. He has caught no sight of the white rose girl today at all. He was disappointed to see her not attend today. His father stood next to him, also scanning the ballroom.

"She's not here. Can I leave" Renjun muttered, placing the glass down.

"Remember our place Renjun's. We're royalty. We can find anyone" The King patted Renjun on the shoulder before turning around and heading to the second floor. Renjun let a big sigh, head leant bag and closing his eyes. He was tired of father acting as if his life was in the hands of someone else. The title 'royalty' never seemed more dull to him.

Suddenly, a loud voice silenced the chattery room. It was the Kings speaker. He sported a smart vest and coat with a big red hat above his head. His chest pumped out and he took a deep breath.

"The Royal family is searching for a girl with a white rose attached to a white mask. She wears a pale blue gown, with intricate gold lining down the sleeve and the dress itself. Her hair is worn on a high bun and she has brown eyes. She is usually seen with the Na family. Judging by appearance, she is of high-class. Anyone who successfully finds this maiden will be rewarded with generous amounts of gold"

Renjun furrowed his eyebrow. He wanted to find the white rose girl, of course, but this was taking it to another extent. He watched as his father contently nodded as the crowd burst into whispers.

"I've seen her before! God I wished I became friends with her then the money would be mine!"

"The girl at Renjun's ceremony!"

"A mere girl being worth so much money"

"Did you ever catch her name?"

"If I get the money, we'll split it 7:5"

The gossip drowned the entire room, irritating Renjun. He didn't want her to become the next hottest topic in this kingdom, yet it was too late to stop it. Once he saw his father come down, his grip around his cup hardened.

"You didn't need to do that" Renjun blurted

"I did" The King stared into the eyes of his son "I only want happiness for you"

Hannuri had found herself a new job in the nearby bar. She had only been gone from the mansion for a couple of days yet she's found herself wearing out much easier that before. She carried sacks of food and material back and forth from the restaurant and the warehouse. The other day, she almost got a bottle of beer spilt all over her.

Hannuri had returned to her everyday life. She was no longer maid Hannuri that followed the Prince around. She now wore a white hankerchief over her hair to push her hair out of her face and she only wore ragged clothing that was simply a dull blue colour. Her apron was constantly around her to the point she got accustomed to wearing it every morning.

When she was out carrying the sack to the warehouse, she noticed a strange notice on the board. It was a white sheet pinned to the wall. It looked much like a missing person notice but the photo was rather blurry. It was a rough sketch of a woman wearing a blue gown. Till it hit her.

"They're looking for me..." Hannuri stumbled backwards, dropping the bag. The entire kingdom was looking for a girl that didn't even exist. Hana was only the romantic gloss to cover up her poverty. Lowering her head, she avoided eye contact with everyone and quickly made her way around to the restaurant. 

The bar owner was one of the few people who could actually read. He had a good education before he went bankrupt at his old business, soon inheriting his families bar. Despite being smart, he was a jerk. He disrespected everyone and threw his anger at people like they were his punching bag.

As soon as Hannuri entered the bar to continue her work, the boss narrowed his eyes at her.

"Hannuri" He called, rubbing his bearded chin.

"Yes, sir"

'Sir' reminded her so much of Renjun. As much as she hates to admit it, but she missed seeing him. His spontaneous yet caring personality made her feel at home in a place as intimidating as the Huang mansion.

"You look..." The boss brought the drawing up next to her face. Indeed, some features of the drawing was strikingly similar to Hannuri's, but it was hard to confirm.

"...just like her" The boss's smirk widened, as if he had caught the culprit.

"I think you're mistaken" Hannuri forced out, taking a step back.

"It doesn't matter. There's no punishment for getting it wrong. Come with me to the mansion. I'm about to earn more than you're worth, sweet heart" The owner grabbed her arm, causing a burning pain to expand through her bones. Her arms were already tired as it is, now this heightened the pain tenfold.

"Let go" She tried to pry his hand off her, crashing to the ground in fear of facing the King all over again. What would happen if the royal family knew she was the girl behind the mask?

"Come on" His wicked smile only grew larger. She felt sick from one look at his money hungry face. This man infected her with fear, her entire body beginning to shake. People would do anything for money and it terrified her.

"Stop please" Her croak melted into a soft whimper as she was practically dragged across the floor. Her body was thrown around like a sack of potatoes. She couldn't even begin to think about what Hanyuri would think to see her sister being used like a puppet right now.

Hannuri was successfully jerked out the bar door, catching the attention of by standers. By now, everyone knew the royal family was looking for a girl. Immediately, a couple men drinking at the side of the streets saw was happening, dropping their bottles too.

"Fuck" She knew what those gazed meant.

"She's the girl!" The owner screamed "She's the girl, everyone! The girl on the board!"

Soon, the men gathered around her to join in with the yanking. It was hopeless. She couldn't fight against four men in their 30s. In her peripheral, she noticed a little girl stumble out of a fruit stall. Hannuri couldn't help but let out a soft cry when she locked eyes with her sister. Her disheveled state, her destroyed expression—she didn't want her sister to see any of this.

Hannuri pleaded with herself, that they would have some mercy and at least make sure Hanyuri didn't come near her. But the little girl didn't listen. She ran towards her older sister, arms flailing and eyes flossing. Hannuri, whose clothes was already ripped and tattered, squeezed her eyes shut, forcing herself to suck in her emotions.

Hold it in for Hanyuri

She told herself, over and over again. But how could she possibly hold it in when her hands were handcuffed to the palms of men.

Hannuri was unable to sign anything to her deaf sister with her arms being yanked by the four men. She simply nodded and smiled, before her body disappeared into an alleyway.

Thankfully, before she could be taken anywhere close to the Huang mansion, a voice sliced the atmosphere.

"Get your fucking hands off her"