28

"Did you guys miss me" Hannuri stretched out her arms as she entered the back kitchen

"Did you guys miss me" Hannuri stretched out her arms as she entered the back kitchen. All the servants and chefs and maids immediately stopped what they were doing, swivelling her head around to stare at her.

"Hannuri!" One of the girls she had interacted with before she had quit, squealed. Hannuri briefly glanced at the head maid, who looked anything but pleased. The head maid had never liked her in the first place and Hannuri reciprocated that. Simply put, they disliked each other.

"Everyone" The head maid slapped her stick against the table "The Prince will have hosting a ceremony today. We will prepare all the food and arrangement. Please dress in the formal attire prepared for you and arrive promptly at the venue"

Hannuri nodded along with her, wrapping an apron around her waist.

On the other side, Renjun was preparing his attire with his mother, The Queen. He was to announce all his big plans today, as the heir to the throne, but Renjun knew full well that he had no plans. He didn't want to do with such responsibility on his hands when he had only been alive for 2 decades. He knew all his father wanted was for Renjun to man up and became the person he was supposed to me. Perhaps that's how the royalty family worked.

The Queen adjusted Renjun's tie, an uneasy expression on her face. Renjun's mother had always been someone who felt like an anchor to him. Whenever his father would lash out, his mother would do anything to calm him. Their marriage was arranged, so it was obvious the two only 'loved' each other for the sake of their families.

"I have a question to ask you" His mother said quietly. Renjun hummed in response. But when his expression trailed to his mothers, he knew something was off.

"Hannuri, that was the name of the girl, right?" His mother brushed off the dust along his shoulders. Renjun froze. He didn't think he ever brought up Hannuri would his mother.

"How did you..."

"Renjun, I need you to listen to me carefully" His mother's eyes jerked up to meet his "I don't want to be the bad guy here but that girl won't last in our family"

Renjun scoffed, eyes dashing away from her. That's what everyone has been telling him and he was sick of it.

"I saw her in your bedroom" His mother exclaimed in a distressed manner "Your father might not be the best person in the world but he knows our family's system inside and out. He knows who will crash and burn and who will succeed. I can tell by your eyes that you love her and she loves you but...love is just not enough with us"

"I don't want to hear it" Renjun was in complete denial. All he wanted was a normal relationship. He never asked to be born into such a complicated family. He cursed each and every person who told him he can't be with her because he was royalty.

"Please Renjun" His mother grabbed his hand "I don't want to watch you get hurt"

"I have said this over and over again" Renjun whipped his hand out of her grasp "I will protect her and you guys just need to stay out of it"

"You can't protect her the moment she steps foot into-"

"I know what I'm doing" Renjun sneered "Don't let father know about us. That's all you have to do"

Renjun nervously tapped his foot backstage, hands fidgeting together as a crown weigh heavy on his head

Renjun nervously tapped his foot backstage, hands fidgeting together as a crown weigh heavy on his head. It was minutes before the ceremony and Renjun's throat felt like there was a drought in it.

Something tapped on his right shoulder. Whipping his head right, he didn't see anyone, until he felt his hand being tugged. He naturally obeyed the force

"Hey" She grinned from ear to ear, holding his finger.

"Something good happen?" Renjun returned to the smile "You look happy"

"I don't know" She shrugged "It's rare that I get to be by your side"

Renjun's arm scooped her into a warm embrace, her head digging into his chest. Against her ear, she could hear Renjun's heartbeat pounding erratically.

"Are you nervous for the speech" She muttered, closing her eyes to enjoy his company

"A bit" He murmured, also leaning his cheek upon the top of her head. He felt her grasp tighten around his clothes. He wanted so badly to just stay like this and hold each other without anyone and anything to disturb them. He missed being with her.

"Renjun!" A voice called for him. Hannuri frantically pushed him away, afraid that someone would see.

"You better go. It's probably starting soon. I'll be watching from the back" She tried to calm his emotions by comfortingly grazing her thumb over his knuckles.

"I'll won't be long. Wait for me" Renjun sighed as he left the girl standing in the corridor. He was greeted by the head maid when he turned the corner, who ushered him onto the stage. Facing millions of eyes certainly felt different. It was as if everyone was judging him. He wanted to get out of there the moment he stepped onto the podium.

"Uh" He spoke into the mic. His voice travelled miles as he watched the crowd burst into murmurs. They must all be thinking that he was incompetent and young, he thought, they must all not trust him to be the new king. They were right. He was incompetent and young and certainly not fit for a king

"I won't take up everyone's time" Renjun cleared his throat "I only have one announcement to make today...

I will be stepping down from the position as the heir to the throne"

sorry for slow updates :( school started so boi am i drowning in work