34

RENJUN POV

RENJUN POV.

Shattered.

That's all I could feel at this very moment. The burning flames against darkness and the cry that ripped from my throat. I had always been terrified of darkness, but now, it seemed to me that I would be more terrified of a single lit flame. I wasn't sure what happened after the stadium blew up in flames; all I knew was that I was dragged back to the castle, locked inside my room and awaited for my fathers arrival. Jaemin's negotiation didn't work, nothing worked. My father said he would rather sacrifice the Na family alliance for me to 'grow up and be a man'.

Perhaps I was just too childish...maybe after all this time, love was merely just a facade that occurs during the moments of youth. Maybe, my father was right and risking it all for a girl wasn't the decision that a King would make. I don't have those rights to make those decisions.

I sat alone, simply staring blankly at a wall, all emotion stripped from my body. The door creaked open. I bolted upwards from the chair, eyes wide and hopeful "Where is she? Is she-"

"I'm going to give you a choice, Renjun" My father said monotonously. This was funny. I never had the chance to choose before.

"I'll save her and send her to the best doctor there is in this kingdom, under the circumstance that you sit right back down on your throne and step up again as King. You are not to see that girl again"

I clenched my fist "You have to save her"

"I'll make sure she's alive and well"

I have never loved a girl so deeply for the point I was willing to sacrifice for my sanity and my life for her survival. But I'm glad I have finally found something in my life that I was willing to give up anything for. Every single moment we spent together, from hiding in her room, to making her favourite essence, to exploring her home town, I wouldn't sacrifice any of those moments for anything. She meant too much to me.

"OK" I didn't even hesitate "I promise you. I'll make the announcement tomorrow"

I saw my father smirk. What a disgusting thing to do. But it was worth the sacrifice. Id do anything for her to stay alive.

"I'll wait for you tomorrow at the grand hall"

"OK" I blinked away a tear "I'll come"

I think every single bone in body has gone numb

I think every single bone in body has gone numb. I couldn't think nor feel nor simply lift a finger. I was stripped of my soul and this moment wasn't something I dreaded anymore, it just felt like the mere chapter of my life that someone else wrote.

I had a heavy cloak on around my shoulder, the fur prickling my skin. The golden crown was in my hand, the shiny surface juxtaposing my dark expression. I couldn't feel anything.

Suddenly, someone burst into the room. I didn't even bare to look up.

"Yah" A strong fist was thrown towards my chest. I stumbled backwards slightly, unable to even lift my face up at this person.

"Why the fuck are you here when you're meant to be with Hannuri right now!?" Jaemin's voice echoed within the small room. At the sound of her name, my eyes flashed up to meet Jaemin's furious pair.

"She's been calling your name for the past hour, refusing to take her medication because she wants to see you" Jaemin grabbed a fist of my shirt, shaking me out of anger "And I thought you would prioritise her over being the wealthy King you are"

Thank god. She was alive.

My eyes fluttered shut, mucus clogging my throat and my grip on the crown tightening.

"Say something Renjun!" Jaemin almost screamed after receiving no response at all from me. If I opened my mouth, I knew I wouldn't be able to hold it together. So I silently told myself over and over again, that it was my fault for getting her in this position, that it was my fault for ruining us.

"I can't believe you" Jaemin shoved my body away, storming towards the door.

"Tell her I'm sorry" I managed to whisper "And to take her medication"

If Hannuri knew the truth, she would come storming back. God I know her too well. With her personality, she wouldn't last a day in that hospital knowing that my father has abused his power on me again. I couldn't tell her. I don't want her near my excuse of a family

I wanted to say mountains more than those words but that seemed to be the only thing that came out. I couldn't even bare to look at Jaemin's face, knowing it was distorted and disappointed. I was disappointed that it had to end this way and that our story never even was able to reach the final chapter before every single page was ripped out.

I pushed Jaemin aside upon hearing the announcement of the new King that stepping up to the throne.

"Renjun. Walk up on that platform right now and I'll never let you see Hannuri again" Jaemin's voice sliced through the atmosphere. I halted almost immediately, eyes shifting upwards to meet the bright lights that were emerging from the doorway.

"Im sorry" and I stepped up onto the platform. I was faced with millions of people, all looking up at me in utter disgust and disbelief. My face was sullen, not a single thought running in my head anymore. Tiredly, I bowed, head completely down and my eyes attached to the ground in a plead for acceptance.

I closed my eyes, my hands still clutching the crown that was not on my head. A bead of salty tears rolled down my cheek to meet with the surface of the floor, a shaky sigh drifting out of my mouth.

The numbness became painful—it felt like being stabbed in a heart that was so frozen that it simply couldn't feel anything. It was the type of pain where the excruciating hurt became a habit and turned into a ugly scar.

I straightened my back, looking towards the crowds of people who's expression has softened. I placed the crown upon my head, feeling the weight against my scalp. It didn't feel like I just worse something that gave me power and authority, rather, I felt like I was wearing a crown of thorns, piercing into me every step I take.

I deserve it. I know I do.

I leant closer to the mic, before speaking with the most drained voice I've ever experienced in my life "My name is Huang Renjun, you're King's son and the heir to the throne. I officially accept the responsibilities as the new King, where I will protect, cherish, and love this Kingdom and swear not to merely help, but to guard every villager here. I feel regretful of the irresponsible actions I have previously shown through my rejection of the crown. I hereby ask for forgiveness"

I bowed again, my fists turning into clenches as I felt my voice disappearing once more. A hand was placed on my shoulder; it was my father. I stood back up, facing him as he smiled at me with a feeling hard to explain. It felt mechanical, yet, thankful.

It was my father. He didn't care about anything but his status. I have made him proud, finally.

"Welcome, the new King"