Chapter 5 - Pancake

Wow first trigger warnings anyways very very mild gore, almost dying, and some swear words wahoo

Pancake POV

The oak front door creaked open as the group stepped inside. Pancake clicked her flashlight on and scanned the walls, which were covered in paintings, old wallpaper, baseboards, and dust.

"Woah," Sapphire breathed, turning on her own flashlight and running over to one of the walls. Light was still pouring through the windows, but thick layers of dust and cobwebs cast shadows all over the old, musty room. Vesper was already in the air, examining the crystal chandelier. Pancake felt a woosh of air as Swift took off to join the hybrid.

"Oi, Churro," Sapphire called, "This photo looks kinda like you." Churro walked over to Sapphire, a skeptical look on his face, to see what she meant. Pancake moved off to the other side of the room, her hands feeling the walls. "The wallpaper is coming off, and it's faded a lot," she said, not caring if anyone heard her.

The group explored the main hall for a while, Swift and Vesper staying on the chandelier for the entire time. Churro and Sapphire were looking at all the art. Random chatter filled the enormous room. Pancake was still searching the walls, feeling like she was in a movie the whole time. She eventually felt a lump in the wall, and she pressed both hands to it.

"Guys, I think I found something in the wall," she said, beckoning Churro and Sapphire over. The tan-yellow dragon examined the wall, then dug his claws into the bulge. He pulled a chunk out of the wall to reveal a rusty looking iron button.

"Woah," Sapphire whispered again, pushing Churro away to get a closer look. She reached out a paw as if to press it, but Churro caught her arm and pulled her back. "We don't know what it does," he hissed at her, his camera momentarily forgotten. "Are you sure," Sapphire asked, wriggling out of his grasp.

"Positive," he said. Sapphire shrugged, then smashed the button. "Sapphire," Pancake cried, "Churro said not to!" "It didn't do anything," the cat hybrid snapped. A loud groan coming from the ceiling interrupted their little cat fight. The three glanced up at the two on the chandelier. Swift was looking down at them, Vesper was trying to detach a fancy crystal from a chain.

The massive light wobbled. "Swift, Vesper," Pancake screamed, "Get down from there!" The two looked down at the three as the light wobbled again. "Shit," Vesper screamed, leaping from the chandelier, just as its grasp on the ceiling loosened and it plummeted toward the floor. "Language," Churro shouted, but his eyes were wide with fear.

Pancake seemed to watch it in slow motion, her body frozen with fear. Swift was entangled in some of the crystals and couldn't get loose. Vesper had managed to get aloft, but a rod from the light had hit her and carried her down to the floor.

The three hit the ground, making a large crater. Churro was the first to overcome his fright and ran over and started digging the two hybrids out. Pancake and Sapphire quickly followed, and began digging through the rubble, trying to find their friends.

Vesper was the first one to show. She had a long gash down her leg, a few slits in her wings and a few minor scrapes but seemed fine other than that. Churro grasped her arm and hauled her out of the wreckage. She collapsed on the floor, coughing from the dust.

"Is Swift ok?" Pancake asked anxiously. "I don't know," the red dragon wheezed, a look of panic and pain distorted her features. She held her head and groaned. Pancake saw the faint formings of a bruise under her dark hair. Blood was trickling from the side of her head and into her eye. She wiped it away and fell over.

"I found her," Churro suddenly yelled. He and Sapphire were dragging the unconscious fluffy blue dragon from the ruins. Pancake rushed over and fell down beside her partner. "Say something to me Swift," Pancake begged, shaking the dragon, who remained limp in her arms. She shook her more and more, but Swift remained as floppy as a fish.

"Wake. The. Fuck. Up. Swift. You. Will. Not. Die. On. Me. Not. Like. Echo. Did," Pancake shouted, smacking the dragon in between each word. "Language," Churro mumbled, all energy gone from his body. Most of their cameras lay forgotten on the floor.

Swift's eyes suddenly popped open, and she started violently coughing. Pancake could see the dust clouds rolling off of her girlfriend as the dragon shook out her fur and wobbled to her feet.

"Are you ok, are you hurt, do you need any bandaids-," Pancake yammered, holding onto Swift's arm for extra support. Swift held a talon over Pancake's mouth and looked around, eyes red from the dust. "I'm fine," she croaked hoarsely.

"You almost died, Your Royal Fluffiness," A scolding but familiar voice filled the room. "You're lucky I was here to prevent that."

Everyone whirled around. Echo was leaning against the fallen chandelier, a wide grin on their face. "So good to see you all again by the way."

--

A/N: Done with Chapter 5! I have finished Chapter 9 and am starting on Chapter 10 as of writing this. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, cause I had fun writing it!

Word count: 894