08. The Truth

- Miles Cohen - 

 - Miles Cohen - 

"So Ells, we are going to set everything up for you in my room, so this lovely lady, my aunty, is going to take you out for the day and pick up some last minuet things for you. Is that alright with you?" I knew Ellery didn't like being away from me yesterday, so I had to coax her out of hiding under my sheets. 

"She thinks that the words 'lovely lady' is someone whom is exactly like her mother, because her mother was constantly described to her as a lovely lady, but they didn't experience what Ellery did. They weren't abused and apologized too. There childhood wasn't ruined like hers" 

 "Okay" she spoke so quietly, as she kissed her bear on the top of the head before she propped him up in bed, like a mother would to a child, before she slid out from the sheets. 

She sluggishly wrapped her arms around my shoulders, as I picked her and the bag of clothes that had been bought for her, as I handed the bag to my aunty before handing her Ellery. 

I sighed in relief when the bedroom door was closed and I could hear the two of them talking in the bathroom. 

I pulled the envelope that I had dreaded seeing this entire week from my brother's police department where they look into the DNA of children. I had seen it appear in my letter box, but pushed it to the back of things. 

It was from the same brother that I hadn't seen or heard much from since the funeral. It felt like he had shut me out of his life, but I was sure it seemed the same to him. 

I don't know what I would do if I found out that Ellery was my daughter. I couldn't possibly raise her in a dorm room. I was in my second year of college, with a potential 3 year old, that I would need to juggle school with when I was in my final year of college. 

I just wasn't sure if I was the right fit for Ellery. So, I sat down on my bed, hearing the front door close, knowing Ellery would be mad at me that I didn't say goodbye, but I couldn't with the way my mind was racing. 

I peeled open the envelope, agonizingly pulling the paper out and unfolding it, scanning over the unnecessary but necessary words as I looked at the bold letters and words at the bottom of the paper. The words and letters that would tell me the truth. 

Ellery Cohen's DNA is a 100% match with Miles Cohen's DNA. 

I was in disbelief. I had had a daughter for 3 years now, and I was only finding out about her a week ago. 

I didn't know what to do. There was no way she could live here with me. Maybe I should buy a house, but with what money? What happens if I get drafted or when we go to other states for games and have to stay the weekend? 

This was all just too much. Maybe I would have to give her up? I would go back for her, but now just isn't the right time. Maybe that was why her mother gave her up for me to look after her.