14. Regret

- Miles Cohen - 

 - Miles Cohen - 

Standing there, my hand mere inches away from knocking on the front door, I almost pulled back. I had Ellery curled up in one arm, hoping that she would not wake up, in her usual cranky mood. I really hoped that this would all go well. 

"Daddy?" she mumbled, wiping her eyes with the fists of her hands. I said nothing, just gently pulling her hands from her eyes when they started to become harder. There was nothing much to say, or anything that I could do, to get past the lump that was building up in my throat. This was the right thing to do, wasn't it? 

Usually, whenever Ellery had just awoken from her nap, she would call me Daddy. Ever since I had found out that that word was actually meant for me, it would shock me, before I eventually realized that she didn't know. She can't know, after what I am about to do. 

"Yeah, sweetheart?" I muttered, blinking back the tears that were building up in my eyes. This could be the last time I say those words to my own daughter, even though they had promised that I could come see her whenever I wanted. I was going to have to ask people, for the next 2 years, to come and see my own daughter because I didn't think that I was capable of looking after her. 

I knew that Ellery growing up in the dorm room was not what I wanted for my daughter. But, was this the right way to go about it? Ellery wouldn't understand, and I was putting my trust in these people that she would not come back out of this house, blood running down her back while bruises covered her legs. She was not clumsy, and I knew that for a fact. 

"What are we doing?" she questioned, her sweet voice bringing me back to reality. It always did. It brought me peace and calm, making me realize that she was all I would ever need in this world. "The people in this house are helping me out for a bit by looking after you for a little while" I started, instantly regretting the words that had left my words. 

I bet she is going to believe that I am just like her mother, who left her in an unknown place. At least, I am doing a little better, by walking her in and checking the place out, rather than dumping her in a place by herself, with no guidance. She was meeting these people with me, and that should count for something. I was better than her mother, or so I hoped I was. 

"But that means your leaving" Ellery was a smart girl, when you actually taught her how to speak and use her knife and fork. She knew how to walk, and everyday, that sent a surge of pain through my heart that I missed her first steps and her first word. That I missed most of her firsts. "Yeah, I have too. But I will be back to see you whenever I can" just as I said those words, the door flew wide open, showing an older lady with a bright smile on her face. 

From what I could see of the inside, the house looked very homey. That was something that I would not be able to do for my Ellery, not yet at least. I did not have that money yet, and I had no idea where I was going to get it from. So, that was my aim out of all this.