Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The Trail of Chains

Sheriff Dauber and U.S. Deputy Marshall Nunez awoke at sunrise in the livery bunkhouse at Stillwater Prison. After they washed and dressed for the road, they ate a hot breakfast, filling up with second helpings. After breakfast, the livery men helped them saddle and pack their horses with supplies. The foreman gave them new bedrolls, extra canteens, ammunition, rope, and a bag of biscuits with meat and cheese.

Both men re-rolled their wolf hides tight with extra rope, securing them to their packs. They were both so proud of their hides. Dauber couldn't wait to show the men in Redwood.

Officer Hopkins handed the men two blue cotton shirts that the guards wore and two sacks of dried jerky. Nunez didn't want to know what kind of meat they used; his stomach couldn't take to the idea of eating dried horse flesh.

"Sorry about your shirts. I know you guys used them as bandages on the men. These aren't white, but it's all we have."

"These will be fine. Thank you," said Dauber.

"I don't envy you guys going into those woods. Past Stillwater to the west is the beginning of the Big Woods. You saw the size of the Timberwolves around here, but those woods also have bears, mountain lions, deer and . . .."

Before Hopkins could finish, a guard shouted, "And turkeys, rabbits and squirrels."

The men laughed at Hopkins. Officer Craig had walked into the livery and had overheard Officer Hopkin's warning of the Big Woods.

"Men, you don't get to be a U.S. Deputy Marshall without being a successful tracker. You need to prove you are an officer of the law who can bring a criminal to justice, and Marshal Nunez is one of the finest in the department. Now, I can't speak about Sheriff Dauber's tracking ability, but his heroics and Marshall Nunez are to be commended."

"Here. Here." came the shouts from the men in the livery.

"Now men, take Officer Hopkin's word to heart. The Big Woods is fraught with dangers even to the most experienced mountain man."

"Yes, sir. We will be mindful of our surroundings. Did I tell you my heart is still racing from killing that timber wolf?" asked Dauber as he smiled at the men.

The men laughed and applauded the men. After the din died down, time had come to bid the men farewell. They shook hands with the men and walked their horses into the open yard. Officer Craig and Hopkins walked with the men to the exit gate. While they waited for the guards to open the gate, Officer Craig stepped toward the men.

"I'm sorry to tell you, boys. Eddie passed away this morning. He never woke up; he just quit breathing."

"I'm sorry to hear that," said Nunez and Dauber. "How's Clint?"

"He is in recovery after surgery on his leg. Doc says he should recover."

"Tell him to take care of himself for us, will you?" asked Dauber.

"Yes, of course. Now listen to me. Those woods are full of deer paths that can turn a man in circles. Keep your sense of direction about you. Now there is no shame if you lose the trail. Nobody will fault you for that. Head south, back to Redwood, and protect your town."

The two men listened to the older gentleman and nodded in agreement with the logic he was presenting to them. They told the men at the prison goodbye, shook their hands, and mounted their horses.