Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Late Sunday Afternoon

When Rachel returned to the kitchen with Carl, Grace had removed the pies from the oven and removed two slices for Erik and Ethan for later. Edith had the plates and forks in the basket, and Grace laid two clean towels over the pies. Carl held the door for the ladies as they carried the afternoon desserts onto the south porch. Rachel walked to the back of the house and called for the children.

"Who would like apple pie?"

"I do," yelled the children.

Rachel smiled as she watched her daughter Vivian carrying the puppy with her little sister right beside her. The younger boys followed Edwin to the porch. Grace served the slices of pie, and Carl offered cream to the children. The adults sat on the wooden benches, and the children sat on the steps eating their special Sunday dessert.

In the silence of eating, Ethan's absence grew in their mind. Grace thought about Erik, and she could see her sister's hands shaking as she sipped on her coffee using both hands.

"Mama did those lawmen find any prisoners?" asked Vivian, breaking the silence.

"No, baby. We're safe. The prisoners rode west, and the lawmen are going after them."

"What about Daddy?" asked Charlotte.

"He'll be back by morning with the horses. Girls, help me gather the plates," said Rachel as she changed the subject.

"Did you boys see those timber wolf hides the officers had with them?" asked Carl.

The boys gathered around to listen to Carl's story while the women washed the dishes. When they finished the dishes, Edith packed up her bowls and pans, leaving the leftovers for the Taylor family.

"Carl, it's time to leave these folks. We got chores to do ourselves," said his wife.

The boys walked with Carl to the barn to help him with the horses. The girls helped Edith carrying the dishes and empty baskets to the wagon. Edith reached into the wagon bed and removed a burlap bag to hand to Rachel.

"Before I forget, I brought you some sweet potatoes to plant. I planted an entire row, and I don't need anymore. These are healed over, and so plant them this evening before it rains."

"Thank you, Edith. You are too kind," said Rachel as she thought of her garden and where she could plant them.

Hugs and thanks you filled the air as everyone said their goodbyes. Carl helped his wife onto the seat of the wagon, and then he walked around the end of the wagon and climbed into the driver's seat. The Taylor family waved to them as Carl steered his team down the driveway.

"Grace, I am going to the garden to plant these. Edwin take the boys and fill the wood boxes. We are going to need dry wood in the house," said Rachel.

"Come on, girls. You can help me in the kitchen," said Grace.

Rachel grabbed her garden tools and the sack of sweet potato eyes and rushed to her garden, her refuge, her safe place, to do her best thinking. When she reached the garden and dropped her tools, she looked for a suitable spot to plant a row of potatoes. She chose an outside row and jabbed her shovel into the dirt, turning over the rich black soil.

She dug with all her pent-up tension. Shovel after shovel turn, the worry left her body. When Rachel finished the row, she went through the row, chopping the clods with the end of the shovel. She knelt on the ground and untied the bag of potato eyes. Using a handheld hoe, she dug the first hole and planted the first eye, mounding the surrounding dirt.