Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

Reception Revelations

Together, Dwight and Alice strolled toward Main Street to the reception. She explained to Dwight her conversation with Sadie. By the time they had reached the hotel, they had agreed to attend church together, and then he would accompany her to Cooper's services. She offered to bring a picnic lunch for their noon lunch.

"Remember to bill the lunch to my tab," said the District Attorney.

When they had reached the hotel, guests were waiting to enter the hotel and visiting in the sunshine with one another. Dwight pointed out the two abandoned buildings on Main Street while they waited. One building was on the corner across from Victoria's shop, and the other one was on the other side of the alley by the shop, but it needed a lot of work.

Dwight felt the building next to the print shop was a better choice, but it was a couple of blocks away from the Sheriff's office, but it was closer to the bank and the hotel. Alice listened intently to his rational and observations of the buildings. She smiled at him and noticed his black cowboy hat pushed up slightly to show his twinkling eyes.

Within moments, they were ushered inside to the dining room. The hotel staff had laid out an afternoon sandwich buffet with ham and roasted beef sandwiches. There were jams and sauces for the sandwiches, and plenty of chocolate cake for dessert.

It surprised Alice how many faces she recognized, and everyone smiled at Dwight as they greeted him and Alice. When it was their turn to greet Thomas and Victoria, her escort took the lead. Victoria looked at the transformation in Alice, remembering the weary traveler with hair in her face. Then Victoria realized she had neglected to invite Alice to the wedding. Alice saw her reaction on her face.

"Oh, Alice. I totally forgot."

"It's okay, Ma'am. Mr. Sanderson invited me. You look beautiful, Victoria, and thank you for everything this week."

"Thank you, Alice, for your help. Your hat looks stunning on you."

"It was Hannah's idea."

"How thoughtful of her. She is a gem," said Victoria said as she wiped her a tear from her eye, feeling so blessed. "And Mr. Sanderson, it is so nice to see you with a beautiful young woman on your arm."

In all the time, Victoria had known Mr. Sanderson. She had never seen him with a young woman on his arm. She saw the absolute glow on his face as he smiled at Alice. As Victoria continued to visit with Mr. Sanderson, Thomas greeted Alice.

"Congratulations, Thomas."

"Thank you, Alice. You look lovely this evening."

"Thank you. So do you," said Alice as she blushed.

"Say Alice, I have been meaning to talk to you about your horses."

Alice's heart went into her throat. She had forgotten about her animals, knowing they were safe in the carriage house. It happened at the ranch when she wouldn't take out her horses for several days.

"I know I need to make other arrangements," said Alice in a panic.

"No. I mean, I want to know if you would be interested in selling the horses."

Alice couldn't bear the thought of selling her mare, Marie, her pack horse. The thought of selling her stallion hadn't crossed her mind, but she knew her father had paid top dollar for the horse. Then there was Cooper's saddle horse and all their camping gear still in the carriage house that she no longer needed.