Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Welcome Home Supper

When Ethan finished caring for the horses, he secured the barn doors and made a final round to check on all the animals. He said a prayer for the mountain man on the workbench. Then he turned down the lantern and carried the bundle of bear meat to the house.

As he reached the back door, Rachel was waiting with a warm towel. He laid the bundle down in the pantry next to the smokehouse door. He pulled off his leather jacket and removed his wet clothes and boots until he was naked.

Using the warm towel, he dried himself, bringing the circulation into his arms and legs. After he washed up with warm water, his wife handed him dry clothes, and he quickly dressed into the warm dry garments. She brought him his winter moccasins, and he thanked her for her kindness with a kiss.

Ethan hung up the leather jacket on a peg and tossed his wet clothes on the growing pile of laundry. He stepped out of the pantry and greeted his family. The kids ran and hugged their father, happy to see him home safe. Ethan greeted Grace, and then he saw Erik sitting at the end of the trestle table, and he walked over to him to shake his hand.

"Hello. Erik. How are you feeling?" said Ethan, noticing that he was dressed in draw string cotton pants to fit over his splint, which was propped up on the hassock.

Jonas wore a loose-fitting cotton shirt with a drawstring neck and sleeves. His long hair was combed back, and his beard didn't seem as unruly. He looked pale in the light-colored clothing. Ethan knew the man needed rest and good food to recover his strength.

"Erik gave us all quite a scare this morning. He was burning up with fever when we found him outside in the rain," said Grace, not wanting to explain her feeling of intuition.

"I'll tell you about it later," said the man quietly.

Ethan nodded and realized he couldn't wait any longer. He was starving, and the table was full of a welcome home feast.

"Let's pray and eat before the food gets cold, and then you can tell me all about your day."

The family joined hands and said their prayers of thanks and blessings on the hands that prepared the meal. Dishes of sweet potato pie and green bean casserole, along with warm bread, were passed amongst the family. Rachel brought bowls of beef stew to the table and helped the youngest children butter their bread and add jam to each slice.

"Erik, what you think you're doing giving the women a fright? What happened?"

"I was burning up with fever when Grace found me. I woke up sick to my stomach and tried to make it to the outhouse. Not one of my finest moments," said Jonas with a chuckle.

"I see the women pulled you through for another day."

Rachel and Grace exchanged looks, and Ethan sensed it was more serious than they were letting on in front of the children.

"The fever finally broke for the last time, I hope. But I feel as weak as a kitten."

"Speaking of animals, where's that puppy, Duke?"

The kids pointed to the box near the stove where the exhausted puppy was sleeping. Their father smiled as he chewed on his slice of bread. The children occupied the rest of the meal, telling their father about their chores and the new puppy. Rachel praised Edwin for the chores he did protecting the animals.

Ethan complimented his children for their hard work, caring for the animals. He had seen the barn and knew Edwin had helped Rachel bring in the animals. He needed to let Edwin know how proud he was of him. As a father, he knew his son didn't like being singled out in front of others. Ethan would talk to him later in private.