Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Alice Turner

After Deputy Cowan found Sheriff Dauber, he took over his place in the water brigade that had slowed down as men shoveled and raked the burning boards away from the building. Dauber told Red and Ivan they needed to come to his office. Then Sheriff Dauber led Victoria and Thomas along with Alice to his office. Sheriff Dauber strode ahead, hoping to blow off some steam before he questioned Alice Turner and her role in this evening's chaos.

When Sheriff Dauber burst into his office, he went directly to the stove to check to see if there was coffee in the pot. He stoked the stove as the others made their way into the office. Thomas found two chairs for the women, and the rest of men stood facing Sheriff Dauber's desk. Sheriff added extra water and a couple of scoops of coffee before moving to his desk.

Marshal Nunez was the last to enter the office. His eyes opened wide when he saw Alice Turner sitting in a chair facing Dauber's desk. Before he could yell at her, he saw Dauber stand up in anger.

"Alice Turner. Do you want to tell me what in the world are you doing mixed up with Cooper? You should have known better. And I don't want to hear any more lies from you or your family. You hear me?" yelled Dauber as he pounded his hands on his desk in frustration.

Alice immediately started crying, knowing it was all her fault. Dauber ran his hand over his beard stubble and let out a sigh of exasperation at the woman's tears.

"Okay, Alice. Let's start at the beginning. When we were at the Turner ranch, where were the men hiding?"

Alice wiped her eyes and straightened her back. The cabin was private knowledge she didn't feel she need to divulge to the officers.

"Baker and Cooper showed up late the night before you arrived. Pa told they could stay one night and then they had to leave."

"Did they?"

"No. But after you and Marshal Nunez left, Pa told them to ride out as soon as possible. Baker rode out in the middle of the night, leaving Cooper behind. I rode out and gave Cooper supplies at his camp."

"That still doesn't explain what you are doing here?"

"I left with Cooper of my own choosing, and you can't send me back because I won't go."

"Alice, we need to let your father and your brothers know where you are," said Marshall Nunez.

"I'm not going back."

"No one is going to make you go back. You are old enough to make your own decisions," said Dauber. "Tell me about your travels to Redwood."

Alice looked at the men and told him how she tried to talk him out of his plan for revenge. She told him about the nightmares and Belle.

"He wanted to burn down the shop with he and Victoria in it to destroy Belle since it was where he killed her."

Thomas and Victoria shuddered thinking how close he came to carrying out his plan. He placed a hand on her shoulder to reassure her she was safe.

"I told him I would leave him if he planned to carry out his revenge, but he was determined. We stopped at the Walker farm, and Ivan told Cooper he wasn't welcome to stay. He and I argued because I told Red and Ivan about his plot for revenge. He hit me and left for Redwood, taking a lantern with him. I'm so sorry. It's all my fault. I tried to stop him."

Alice dropped her head in shame, and more tears fell from her eyes.

"Is that true, Ivan?"

"Yes sir. He wanted to buy my still since I ain't using it. But I told him no unless he had fifty dollars to replace the parts."