Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

A Change in Plans

Early Thursday morning, Cooper stumbled out of the Turner's hunting cabin to relieve himself off the side of the porch. When he limped back into the cabin, the fireplace was cold, and there was no coffee brewing. He walked over to Baker.

"Get up. The fire went out, and there's no coffee."

Cooper pulled back the blanket, revealing a pillow laying under it.

"That son-of-bitch left me," cursed Cooper. "How dare he leave me?"

He limped around the cabin in a rage, cursing and shoving the chairs out of his way. He saw the half-empty burlap bag laying on the table. Cooper pulled out a bottle of whiskey, a beef roast, carrots, potatoes, and onions and a loaf of bread. The man broke off a hunk of bread and grabbed the bottle of whiskey to sit on the porch and get drunk.

He rubbed his knee as he sat on the porch. Cooper had told Baker he just need a few days to rest his knee, and he would be ready to travel, but Baker was skittish to travel. He pulled the cork and drank down a healthy swig of the whiskey. Reaching in his pocket, he removed the half-smoked cigar and lit it with a match that should have been used to start the fire.

What the hell am I going to do? thought Cooper as he sat on the porch in front of the isolated cabin in the woods. After his second swig of whiskey, he put the cork back in the bottle, remembering what Baker had said about him. He was left to himself, all alone, friendless, and no one want him.

He stubbed out his cigar, waiting to smoke the rest tonight. When it cooled, he put it in his pocket. As he walked into the woods to find wood and kindling to start a fire, he felt so low and knew he only had himself to rely upon, a thought he didn't relish.

It took several trips, carrying small loads as he limped through the woods. His knee felt better today the more he walked. By the time he returned to the cabin with the last load of kindling, he was ready to clean the fireplace. As he dumped the ashes off the end of the porch, he saw a woman riding towards him on horseback with a pack on the back. It was Clyde Turner's daughter, and he didn't remember her name; he was just glad to see anyone other than the law.

"Good morning, Miss Turner."

"Good morning."

Alice smiled as she dismounted. She was hoping to get to see Chet. She felt bad that he had asked her to make fried potatoes and onions for him, and she hadn't had the chance with extra company. This morning, after the boys left for the barn, Alice fried up a mess of potatoes and onions that filled the bowl.

"Is Chet around?" asked the girl.

"The son of a bitch left."

Tears sprung to her eyes, and she felt a pain in her heart. Alice batted back the tears in her eyes.

"He left? Without saying goodbye? He has never done that before. He always tells me goodbye and tells me he will be back again."

Cooper looked at her tearful eyes; he hated women's tears. They made him uncomfortable. She was in love with Baker, and he left her for good this time. Cooper knew he would never be back in this area again.

"Oh, what are you mooning over that loser? He ain't the marrying kind to settle down and stay anywhere for long."

"He stayed here two winters, and Chet Baker was the only man that was ever nice to me. He talked to me like I was a real person, not just Clyde Turner's daughter."