Chapter Thirty-Eight

Greatest Blessing of All

When the three of them arrived in the house, the women introduced Ethan's brother, Erik, to Edith Jensen. She greeted him in the most congenial manner. She shook his hand and told him how glad she was to meet him.

"Sit up everyone. It is time to eat," said Rachel.

Eleven of them crowded around the trestle table set for a feast. Carl had shot a big tom turkey, and Edith made a full turkey dinner with dressing, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Grace had made a sweet potato pie, and there were baskets of freshly baked buns.

The children kept the conversation lively through the meal as they told Carl and Edith about their adventures this week. Carl remarked on much Duke had grown these past three weeks. During mealtime, the dog stayed next to Ethan, knowing he would get fed during the meal.

After the women cleared the dishes and food from the table, Carl leaned over to Ethan and whispered that Erik should have his leg tended to. Ethan agreed, and then the head of the household stood up from the table.

"Children, today we will meet later this afternoon at the gathering tree. Your uncle Erik's leg needs some attention, so Edwin, would you take the children out to play? Take Duke with you."

The children screamed their approval and ran from the table outside to play.

"Edith, I need you to make that man a cast for his broken leg."

Edith Jensen came forward, and Erik pulled up his pant leg and showed her his wound.

"A gunshot wound?"

"Yes, Ma'am. The doc removed the bullet, and the Taylors helped me through the infection and the fevers."

"It's a wonder you didn't lose your leg. How long has it been hurt like this?"

"About a month, Ma'am."

Edith looked at him and then turned and looked at the rest of them ending with her husband. Her stare made Carl uncomfortable because he knew how much she hated it when he kept things from her.

"Did you know about this?"

"No. Ethan and Erik just told me today."

"Oh, I wish you would have told us sooner," said Edith, hurt that her neighbors hadn't confided in her. "It may be too late to put a cast on, but we can try. I need flour, warm water, salt, and plenty of bandages. Rachel, I need an oilcloth and a large pan to mix the paste."

The women jumped to their tasks, and the men helped Erik onto the trestle table. Rachel handed her husband the oilcloth, and they placed it under his leg. Ethan removed the splints and bandage wraps that held them in place. Erik adjusted his pant leg above his knee.

"Rachel, I need an old sock, a long one, preferably. Cut the toes off," said Edith while she used her hand to mix the flour and water into a thick paste mixture.

She added a pinch of salt and a little more warm water. The older women set up her station on the table to make the cast. Edith placed a bandage over the broken bone wound and wrapped the padding before she started with the long strips.

"Now, this is going to take a while. So, tell me how you got shot."

Edith didn't wait for Erik to begin. She dropped a roll of bandages into the paste and swished it around with her hand, showing the women. Then she ran her fingers down the strips, spreading the paste until it was saturated. Carl had placed the sock over the bandage, pulling it up to his knee, leaving his toes sticking out of the end.