Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

Alice's First Date

Alice Turner was escorted to the hotel on the arm of Dwight Sanderson, who was well-dressed in a brown tweed suit and wore a bowler pulled down low on his head. He was taller than she was, and she felt comfortable on his arm. He made polite conversation as they walked down the boardwalk. Alice heard the noise from the saloons, and she saw cowboys riding into town,

The town was alive with people, and there was so much to look at as she walked. Alice smiled at Dwight as he pointed out various businesses. Her ears perked up when he pointed out Campbell's General Store. Maggie had suggested the store for rice powder. When they reached the hotel, Dwight stopped her and pulled her down to the bench in front of the hotel.

"I must apologize, Miss Turner."

"Alice."

"Alice. I couldn't help but overhearing that you were not going to the wedding tomorrow. Would you do me the honor of being my guest at the wedding?"

Alice was flabbergasted. No man had ever asked her out on a date. She felt speechless as her mouth hung open. She took a deep breath to regain her composure. Dwight knew she needed to be convinced to attend.

"I would enjoy your company, and I hate always having to attend these events alone. Do you like to dance?" asked Dwight.

"Yes, I would love to go with you to the wedding. As far as dancing, it has been a long time since I have danced."

"Well great. Let's meet in the lobby around 1:30. The wedding is at two o'clock according to the invitation. Do you want a carriage, or we could walk?"

"How far away is the wedding?"

At the end of Main Street, you'll find the schoolhouse, which is also used as a church on Sundays.

"Let's walk to the wedding."

Dwight smiled from ear to ear. He had a date with a lovely young lady. His heart was beating out of his chest.

"Are you hungry? Please say yes. I'll buy us dinner, and we can get to know one another better."

"Allow me to take my packages to my room and change for dinner."

"I'll wait at the table for you."

Dwight held the door for her, and she felt herself glide up the stairs with her head held high. A smile broke out across her face as she looked over the banister at the dark hair man staring up at her.

The excited young woman hurried into her room and changed out of her work clothes. She removed her everyday navy-blue dress from the armoire. She slipped it over her head and adjust the tie in the back. After seeing all those beautiful undergarments and petticoats, Alice mentally added the items to her wish list.

Alice looked in the mirror and smoothed her hair. She opened the partial tin of rice powder and gently patted her face with the delicate fine powder. The young woman mimicked Maggie's moves on applying the rouge on her lips using the tiniest amount. She followed with the petroleum jelly and rubbed them together.

After adding perfume to her wrists, Alice dug out her mother's small jewelry box from her satchel, and she found a gold necklace with a locket and a pair of gold earrings that clipped on her ears. The young woman admired herself in the mirror and smiled back at the reflection.

The worry of meeting with the judge was gone; she had earned money, and Alice had the potential for a job, maybe even two jobs. And now she was going to have dinner at the hotel with a man she just met, plus an invitation to the wedding. She was beyond happy and had every reason to celebrate.