Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Caring for the Blessings God Has Provided

Rachel Taylor awoke to the sound of children on the steps, rushing to the family indoor throne. She had drool on her face, knowing she had dozed off to sleep holding the puppy. The young woman quickly got out a bed and threw on a daytime navy-blue dress over her nightgown. She slipped on her boots and tied them for the day. She smoothed back her flyaway wisps of hair from her braided crown of blond hair and joined Grace in the kitchen.

She met Grace carrying a pitcher of cold water into her room and followed her into her sister's bedroom. She saw Erik laying in her bed, and he was burning up with fever.

"What happened? Is he alright?"

"I found him lying outside the root cellar in the rain. He was burning up with fever, and I brought him inside to care for him."

"Oh, Grace, why didn't you wake me? I would have helped," said Rachel and then she whispered, "It's not proper for you to be alone with the man."

Grace ignored her sister's comment and laid another cold rag on his forehead. Rachel surveyed the situation and saw the water glass and pitcher. Erik laid in bed with the blanket pulled up tight to his neck. She felt his skin, and he was burning up with fever.

"We have to bring his body temperature down."

Rachel grabbed a towel and poured cold water on it. She pulled back the blanket to his waist and laid it on Erik's chest. She grabbed two more towels and wrapped his feet in cold water. Rachel laid cold washcloths on his wrists, and Grace brought more water and laid a cold towel on his forehead. Edwin followed his aunt into her room and saw his mother caring for Uncle Erik.

"Is he alright?"

"No. He is fighting a terrible fever, and we are trying to cool down his body," replied his mother.

"What do you need me to do?"

"Gather eggs and. Oh no! I didn't bring the cows into the barn with their calves and it's raining."

"I opened the gate and brought the calves and their mothers into the barn last night. The rest of the cattle are in the paddock."

"Edwin, I am so proud of you. I can't wait to tell your father when he gets home. And thank you for cleaning out the chicken coop. I saw the fresh manure in the compost pile by the garden."

Edwin blushed and felt embarrassed when his mother complimented him for doing his chores. He was eight and half, and he wanted to prove to his parents that he could help do more around the farm instead of always watching his sisters and cousins.

"Do you need more water before I go outside?"

"Yes. Thank you, Edwin."

Rachel continued to lay cold cloths on his Erik's chest. His breathing was labored as he laid on his back.

"Am I going to die?"

"Nonsense," said Rachel as she wrung out the cold washcloth for his wrists. "Not if we can help it. Here, drink some water. How does your leg feel?"

"It's sore as hell. Pardon me, I mean heck. Sorry, Ma'am"

"That is alright. Understandable."

When Grace returned to the room, Rachel was adjusting his leg under a folded blanket. She wrapped his feet in the cold towels and checked the wounds for any new red streaks on his legs.