Part 13

Once they were done and were out of my mind, they started to ask me questions. All of which, I had already asked myself. "Is this real?", "Is Modok trying to kill you?", "What does this have to do with your eyes changing colors?", and my least favorite "Are your parents still alive and working for the enemy?". I answered to the best of my ability which was basically just "I don't know.". After about an hour of thinking, I finally called for a break. When I did, we all realized how late it was. "How is it already 9:00 PM?" I asked no one in particular.

"Crap!" Peter exclaimed. "Aunt May is going to kill me! I gotta go. Bye!" He jumped up, ran out the door, and was gone.

After he left, Wanda and I decided that we needed to eat supper. We ate in complete silence and went to bed the same way. It was a very peaceful night with absolutely no dreams. None at all. I woke up the next morning completely refreshed; I felt so good that I didn't even care that my eyes were a different color. Besides, Peter had been right. They were a nice shade of blue.

I was dressed and making breakfast by the time Wanda was dressed. She was surprised to see me in such high spirits which was understandable. If I'm being honest, I was acting so upbeat partially because I didn't know how much more she could take. First she lost her parents, then her brother, and most recently her android boyfriend(which I don't really understand how that worked). She'd been through enough. "How are you this morning?" I asked. "Did you sleep well?"

She walked over to me and felt my head to check my temperature. "Are you feeling alright?"

I chuckled. "I'm fine. Look. You've been doing so much for me, that making you breakfast is the least I can do."

"Hm. Okay then. What are you making?"

"Pancakes," I said in all seriousness. Wanda started laughing. "Hey! Don't laugh! It's literally the only thing that I know how to cook. It isn't my fault that someone hasn't taught me anything else."

"As long as you don't set off the fire alarm, again, then the kitchen's all yours."

On that happy note, that was actually happy, we ate breakfast and left. Wanda had time to drive me to school, and she even let me drive. I had been planning to ask her for weeks, but she just knew. Traffic was super light, so it wasn't hard to concentrate. Once I set up the navigation system to take us to Midtown, everything was good. A few potholes here or there, but it's New York so what are you going to do? I wanted this moment to last forever, so of course it went by like a flash. I parked the car, and we both got out. We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways.

While going across the crosswalk, the noise of grinding asphalt became prominent. I looked over and remembered something important. Flash drives recklessly in the parking lot! There he was, barreling towards me. Clearly on his phone, he didn't notice me or slow down. I knew that there wouldn't be enough time for everyone to get to the other side before he got to us. The other students must've realized this as well because none of them were running; they were just standing there. My instincts took over quicker than ever before. I called on the biggest shield I could muster and closed my eyes bracing for the impact of the BMW hurtling towards me at 40 mph. Flash must have finally noticed us because there was a sudden screeching sound. I knew it wasn't going to be enough, so I stayed in the same position. Impact would be made in three... two... one.

CRASH!!! The force of Flash Thompson's car should've been enough to kill me. But there I was, a few inches from where I had been standing. All of the other students were safe. So what if I had to reveal my powers to do it. All that mattered was that they were safe. Even Flash seemed to be okay. Sure, his car was a little banged up, but if you text and drive then you don't deserve to have a car at all. Everyone was staring at me, but I just picked up my backpack and walked inside.