Part 16

By the time gym class came around my headache was worse. At least the exercises weren't very strenuous. I was used to far greater challenges like, say, sparring with the Black Widow herself (Sure, I never won, and sure, I never lasted more than a minute, but still). The gym teacher split us up into girls and boys for wrestling matches. I was one of the last people to go, so I got to watch Peter and Ned fight. Ned went against someone that I had never met before. Regrettably, he lost but lasted longer than I thought he would. Peter was paired with Flash Thompson (of course). Having seen Peter in action, I expected him to take down Flash in two seconds flat. Unfortunately, all he really did was try to dodge until he eventually lost.

Eventually, it was my turn. The girl that I was going against didn't seem too thrilled about having to go against me; however, she didn't seem afraid either. It was almost as if she had done this before and didn't think I would be much of a problem. She had short choppy blonde hair and attentive blue eyes. I could see what Peter meant about the death stare. The shirt she was wearing had almost a webbed pattern that I could've sworn she was a big Spider-Man fan. Except she didn't really seem like the fangirl type. She was too serious for that.

As the teacher was going over the list of rules, I got the feeling that my opponent and I were both dying to take down the other. Peter must have read the expression on my face because he gave me a look as if to say Don't expose yourself even more than you already have. No powers. He wanted me to take a dive like he does everyday. He wanted me to lose on purpose. Why should you listen to him, my brain said. You could crush your opponent with one move. Why don't you? Part of me agreed. Why shouldn't I show them what I could do?

No! I thought back. If I unleashed on her, I could kill her. That's not happening.

I should've been paying more attention to the match than the homicidal thoughts my brain was producing. The girl struck first, tearing me from my inner conflict. My reflexes reacted too slowly, allowing her to land her hit leaving me with a bloody lip. It took all of my strength to keep myself from going off on her. Instead, I let her strike again but this time I blocked it. She seemed surprised at my reaction time but didn't let it deter her from trying again. This time she tried to swipe my legs out from me. I jumped. That was how it went. She was on the offensive, trying to punch and kick until I was out, while I was on the defensive, blocking, dodging, and jumping until she got tired or the time ran out.

My brain was still trying to convince me to let loose and take her down. I wanted to. I wanted to end it right then, but if I did then there would be major consequences. Even so, I didn't know how much longer I could keep myself in check. The longer I kept this up, the more my energy and control drained. My opponent was growing tired as well. She was getting sloppy and more predictable. When it was clear that it was ending, she made one final attempt to win. She ran in my direction and with all her remaining strength, tackled me to the ground.

Shocked, I was once again too slow to respond. By the time I realized what was happening, she had my right arm pinned behind my back. I felt a familiar tug in the pit of my stomach and a tingle in my fingers. If I don't tap out then someone could seriously get hurt! I thought in a panic.

Let it happen, my brain suggested. Show them who you really are.

I knew that a weapon would come if I didn't do something. Quickly, I used my left hand to tap the mat until the gym teacher called it. The girl got off of me and walked away. Peter offered me his hand; I slapped it away and got up on my own. We were dismissed to get dressed before the bell rang. When the bell rang, I burst out the side doors desperate to get fresh air. My head was killing me by now. My brain was yelling at me for not taking my opponent down. I was at war with myself. Something told me that it wasn't normal, but once again I wrote it off as the concussion.

I was starting to walk out around to the front entrance when I was hit with a wave of pain unlike anything I had ever experienced before. My knees buckled and my body collapsed to the ground. It was as if someone was jabbing a hot poker into my skull. Fight it! a voice in my head implored. I could only respond with, What am I fighting?!

When I thought for sure my head would explode, the searing pain subsided. I sat up as if everything was normal. But it wasn't. A voice all too familiar spoke in my head. Hello my dear.

Mom?! How is this possible?

You didn't think that we would let you join the other side did you? Your father and I had certain failsafes in place.

At first I didn't understand what she was talking about, but then it dawned on me. That energy beam that I was hit with. Are you mind controlling me?!

You were always smart, she responded. Sometimes a little too smart.

I wanted to throw up, but I didn't really seem to be in control anymore. As they controlled my body, all I could do was observe. Just when I thought that things couldn't get any worse, Peter came through the side doors from the gym.

"Kait, do you remember that frequency I was looking for? Well it just spiked, so I think A.I.M. might be trying something again."

All my body did was stand there. I barely acknowledged him. I wanted to yell for him to run, but I had to watch as a knife appeared in my hand. Peter looked at me with confusion in his eyes. He knew something was wrong. That everything was wrong.

Please, I pleaded, don't hurt him. Whatever you want is yours just leave him alone!

My dear, what I want is you. Because it's time.

Time for what?

Time for you to come home.