Part 14

What had happened between me and Flash's car had already spread throughout the entire school. Wherever I went, I got strange looks. People were talking about my eyes and, more importantly, my powers. My feet just carried me to my locker as I tried to act normal. Or as normal as possible. I met with Ned at our lockers and asked, "Where's Peter?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing," he replied.

"He was at my apartment last night. He and Wanda sprung me from the hospital yesterday." I could tell that he was about to ask, so I said, "Long story. Don't ask. It'll only confuse the heck out of you. Anyway, he was fine last night, so I don't know why-"

I was rudely interrupted by a running Peter. He practically crashed into me which I definitely had had enough of. He was panting and looked like he had run the entire way to Midtown. His eyes had dark circles under them as if he had been awake all night. "I'm here. I'm here."

"And where were you?" I asked. "What was so important that you were late to meet us? We only have ten minutes to hang out before we have to be in class."

"Satellite feeds," replied Peter, still quite breathless.

"Umm...What? I-I'm sorry. Did he say satellite feeds?" Ned nodded in response. "Are you saying that you would rather be looking at satellite feeds than hanging out with your friends?!" I stared him down.

"First of all," he began, "those blue eyes really do you justice. That death stare is honestly terrifying."

"Oh yeah," Ned interrupted. "I've been meaning to ask. Are those colored contacts?"

"It's part of that long story I asked you not to ask about," I replied.

Ned gave me a thumbs up as Peter the Late continued, "And second, I was looking at satellite feeds to see if I could find any kind of ground disruptions. As in an underground base." It began to click in my mind. "I was also looking at radio transmissions and frequencies for any interference."

"Like some kind of mind link?" I asked.

"Yeah. And I found something."

"Ugh," I exclaimed. "Why couldn't you have waited to tell me after school? Now today is going to be excruciatingly long."

"Not if we leave," suggested Peter.

"I cannot miss another day of school, Peter!" I hissed. "I'm definitely not going to risk getting caught!"

"We can just say that I got sick, and you took me home."

"That won't work. They'll call your aunt, and she'll tell them you aren't there. Not only will we unnecessarily miss more school, but we'll probably get detention for an eternity. Besides, rumors about me are already spreading thanks to Flash and his car; I don't need any other kinds of rumors starting."

"Fine," he agrees. "We won't ditch. Get ready for a long day."