xvii. extended family

EXTENDED FAMILY

╔═*.·:·. .·:·.*═╗
chapter seventeen

nancy rung the doorbell. no answer. she rung it again. no answer. everyone turned to el and sage.

"go ahead." sage grinned.

with the tilt of her head, el opened the door.

all of the kids followed nancy and jonathan inside and looked around.

"tom?" nancy said, checking if anyone was home, "heather?"

"gosh, it's freezing." said max.

"do you guys smell that?" nancy asked.

sage covered her nose with her shirt at the overwhelming scent of chemicals. they kept on walking, and in the kitchen there were cleaning supplies scattered throughout the counters.

"more chemicals." nancy cringed.

"you think they're guzzling this shit?" jonathan asked, to which sage let out a snort.

"yeah, either that or they just went on a hell of a cleaning spree." said nancy.

"but last year, will didn't eat chemicals." max pointed out.

"did you?" sage nudged him.

"no." he replied, "this is something new."

"mr. clarke, fifth grade. posit." mike said, "what happens when you mix chemicals together?"

"you create a new substance." lucas and will answered in unison.

"what if they're making something?" mike added.

"in themselves?" max questioned, "i mean come on if you drink this crap, it'll kill you."

"i mean, unless you're a superhero or something." sage muttered.

"you've been reading too many comic books." max rolled her eyes.

"ok, but maybe whoever's drinking this isn't human." sage shot.

they kept on walking, and when they got into the living room, there was an empty wine bottle on the ground. a few steps further there was a blood stain on the carpet.

nancy kneeled down, "blood. yesterday, tom had a bandage on his forehead." she picked up the wine bottle, and it, too had a crimson red stain on it. "he was attacked."