xxii. the downfall of billy hargrove

THE DOWNFALL OF BILLY HARGROVE

╔═*.·:·. .·:·.*═╗
chapter twenty-two

"yoo-hoo!" murray strutted over to the group, waving papers in both of his hands. "yoo-hoo!"

"okay. this is what alexei called 'the hub.'" he explained, pointing to the paper. "now, the hub takes us to the vault room."

"okay. where's the gate?" hopper interrupted.

"right here. i don't know the scale on this, but i think it's fairly close to the vault room, maybe 50 feet or so." murray stated.

"more like 500." erica stepped up. "what, you're just gonna waltz in there like it's commie disneyland or something?"

"i'm sorry, who are you?"

"erica sinclair. who are you?"

"murray... bauman." he replied.

"listen, mr. bunman. i'm not trying to tell you how to do things, but i've been down in that shithole for 24 hours." she said, "and with all due respect, you do what this man tells you, you're all gonna die."

"i'm sorry, why is this four year old speaking to me?" murray asked.

"um, i'm ten, you bald bastard!" erica spat.

"erica!" lucas yelled.

"just the facts."

sage giggled, "i love your sister." she whispered to lucas.

"she's right. you're all gonna die." dustin defended. "but you don't have to. excuse me. sorry, may i?"

"please." murray scoffed.

"okay, see this room here? this is a storage facility." dustin started.

*.·:·. .·:·.*

max and sage were sat on the edge of the fountain. max's head was rested on the pink-haired girl's shoulder.

they didn't speak, but it was like they could read each others minds. oh, wait..

"he'll be okay." sage whispered. but did they want him to be? to go back to that abuse?

"hey. heads up!" hopper threw a walkie-talkie to dustin. "you can navigate, just from somewhere safe."