Chapter One

There was something about the ocean that resonated with me. From the salty breeze brushing past us, to the gentle rocking of the ship as it crested over small waves...it was peaceful out here, and after the events that unfolded about two weeks back, I felt like I deserved this blissful solitude.

"Drakell."

And there went that blissful solitude. Shaking my head—partially in amusement with a little bit of irritability mixed in—I turned and looked at the runaway prince of the Northern Kingdom, Cayden. With the beginnings of a beard cresting over suntanned chin and cheeks, he approached me, eyeing me with those chocolate-colored eyes of his.

"Is everything alright?" I wondered with a raised brow as the other man sighed and leaned against the railing next to me.

"Not really. Davian's feeling motion sick again, and his throat is raw from puking so much. I feel bad for him, since I can't really do much to help—other than helping him hold his hair back as he dry heaves." He sighed and dragged his fingers through his messy brown hair. "I asked Sylra to make him some tea with honey in it...but I do wish I could do more to help him, you know?"

I looked towards the ocean, my heart tightening with sympathy for my baby brother, and the troubles he had been facing on this journey. And I completely understood where Cayden was coming from, because I, too, loathed the fact that I couldn't do anything to help alleviate Davian's motion sickness. It pained me to see him in such a miserable state. Maybe if that sun dragon had come with us, he could have landed a hand to alleviate Davian's pain with that fancy magic of his.

I mentally shook such a thought from my mind and looked back towards the other prince. "I wish I could help as well...but unfortunately some people take to the ocean better than others, and there's not really much we can do but be there for him."

I then pursed my lips and sighed. "Thankfully, we're only about a week out from the Draconic Kingdom...so he thankfully won't have to deal with such things for too much longer."

"Thank the gods for that," Cayden muttered with a sigh as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "It hurts me seeing him suffer like that." He then nibbled at his bottom lip and slid his gaze towards me. "And how are you doing, now that you're getting closer to your home? Especially since you said you hadn't left on a good note."

I looked away—a heavy feeling akin to anxiety bubbling within my gut. Usually when one thought of home, they would be filled with feelings of relief, or happiness after being away for a while. But...I was honestly dreading my inevitable reunion—with my father in particular. I mean, it wasn't that I didn't like my father, per say...but before I left, we had a big argument about my so-called future as King. I didn't care to be king, in all honesty. Never have. I wasn't like Drake with my knowledge of political problems, or how to properly and successfully run a kingdom. I preferred being amongst the people to learn more about them. I preferred adventure, even. I wanted to travel the world and see what it had to offer in terms of culture or the different kinds of people there were.

Father got angry when I expressed this to him in a fit of rage, and we argued for a while before I had enough and decided to leave during the cover of night, just so I wouldn't have to deal with his nagging the next day. Childish of me, I know...but I was just tired of him trying to force kinghood on me when I didn't want such a title. And...well, we all know what happened in between then and now.

Then again...perhaps this had been a blessing in disguise. After all, I found the last remaining part of our family we had long believed to be dead. I would have never found him if Father and I hadn't argued and I hadn't left to clear my head.

I peeked over and saw that Cayden was still staring at me expectantly—that deep chocolate gaze seemingly trying to read the expression on my face. I took a deep breath and gripped the railing. The wind kept blowing my hair in my face, but I made no move to brush the strands away.

"I-I'm nervous," I finally admitted, causing Cayden to purse his lips with a knowing look and lean against the railing with me, "though, I'm hoping that...by bringing Davian home, their anger towards me might recede. I-If even a little bit."

"Look...I, of all people, know exactly how overbearing fathers can be, trust me. But unlike Alton...I'm sure your father is just trying to ensure your future is set when he...well, you know."

"I-I know he doesn't have any ill intentions...he's just...he can be overbearing, sometimes. I mean, why can't Drake rule the kingdom when father dies, or steps down? He's the one knowledgeable enough to be able to run a country that big with absolutely no problems. Hell, I'm pretty sure Drake has always wanted to be king...but he remains in his place because he thinks I want such a position."

Cayden raised a brow. "Have you told Drake that?"

I huffed and shook my head, glancing down at my short, chewed nails. "What good would that do? Father believes wholeheartedly that it is my duty, and my duty alone to one day rule. Involving Drake would no doubt add wood to a fire I wish to diminish."

Cayden's gaze saddened with sympathy, and he sighed and patted me on the shoulder before he glanced back in the direction he had come from. "Well, I think it's definitely something you should think about before we get there. Who knows, maybe talking to Drake will be beneficial in the long run, you never know. Now, I should probably get back to Davian before he attempts to wobble out and find me. Do you want anything from Sylra? I could ask her for you when I get Davian's tea."

Feeling a faint smile pull at my lips, I gently shook my head. "Ah, no thanks. I appreciate the offer though. As you said...I have a lot to think about."

Cayden nodded towards me and left me to my own devices. I sighed and finally brushed my hair out of my face with my fingers, glancing up at the clear blue sky. That anxious feeling that settled in my stomach seemed to grow, and I tore my gaze away and pinched the bridge of my nose, not really wanting to think about my inevitable return. Thankfully, it seemed I was going to be blissfully distracted, as I felt a warm, heavy hand on my lower back, causing me to turn and see the captain of this ship; Taven.

Taven was...well...it felt rude to call him a fling...but a mutual lover, of sorts? Tall with darkly tanned skin and a thick black beard—he was indeed as charming as he was handsome, which was what drew me to his...well...chambers in the first place. I was a very open person when it came to romance, and as long as I trusted my bed partners...well, intimacy could be very relieving and comforting.

"Are you alright?" Taven asked, raising a dark brow as those pretty ocean blue eyes pierced through me. His hand rubbed my back as I turned to face him—our heights similar enough to almost be eye-to-eye.

"I'm...fine." Taven gave me a look. "Really, I am. I just...have some things to think about, that I honestly don't want to think about."

"Ah, I see. Anything you...want to conveniently forget about, for...say...two and a half hours, perhaps?"

I snorted as the hand on my lower back not-so-subtly lowered so he could grip the handful of flesh there. "Oh? And how will you divert my attention, hm?" I wondered with a raised brow, my cheeks beginning to burn.

Tavan brushed his nose against my jaw, his beard tickling the sensitive flesh there before his lips grazed the shell of my ear. "I can think of a few ways. Interested?"

Feeling a little cheeky, I pursed my lips and shrugged—feeling his other hand grip the other side of my bottom. "In broad daylight? How shameless..."

Tavan chuckled and pulled away, but not before he gently grabbed my hand and began leading me to the captains chambers. Just as we reached the door, Tavan paused long enough to lean past the wall. "Karlin, can you be a dear and keep an eye on the steering for me? Many thanks."

He then dragged me into the room, and just before the door closed, I could hear Karlin's voice mutter, "again?" before all sound was blocked out. Hm. Guess I would have to do all that thinking another time.