Chapter Forty

Sun Dragons were exceptionally quick in gathering enough supplies to throw a full fledged celebration. Food, liquor, streamers made from the plant life around us, they were versatile with what they had at their disposal, and it was quite the sight to watch them bring this whole thing together in a mere hour or so. They were also kind enough to bring me a different set of clothes, so that I could finally get out of these white robes I had found myself in. Which thank goodness for that, because as I had stated previously...the robe was a bit too much on the thin side for my comfort. And I wasn't one to accidentally flash anyone.

Anyway.

I personally opted out of the liquor, as I was not about to get beyond reasonably drunk and risk doing something stupid in front of Alaban or his people, so I merely stuck to some of the foods they provided and watched everyone enjoy themselves.

In the current moment, I was sitting by a large bonfire, and across the way, Alaban stood there, talking with his sister and sipping at a drink he had snatched about twenty minutes ago. Narvi was on the right side, clearly wasted as he danced and twirled around with flushed cheeks.

All in all, everyone seemed to be having a good time, which had me relaxed as I glanced down at my empty cup, silently debating whether or not to grab some more. However, I kept finding myself glancing in Alaban's direction, and I couldn't help but notice whenever he too, stared at me. This caused my heart to leap into my throat each time, and whenever our eyes met, I would blush and immediately tear my gaze away—embarrassed at being caught staring.

Alaban and I needed to talk, that much was true. But every time we would have a moment to ourselves, either he would be approached by one of his people, or I would be approached by curious children wondering how a dead man was walking and talking.

I obviously humored the little ones, which ended up with them giggling and running off to tell a parent what they had learned from me.

At some point, my gaze wandered over to where the leader of sun dragons was—and a frown pulled at my lips once I realized his attention currently was on Narvi, who currently dipped low and effortlessly pulled back up with his arms over his head—unbeknownst to the intense golden gaze that was locked onto him.

I was...weary over that attention. I have been alive for a while and have been around enough men to know when one was interested, and I could see that interest in Evander's eyes as he slowly sipped at his drink—his eyes unwavering on the moon dragon. Wasn't he getting married to Aerylin? Why would he be staring at Narvi as if he wanted to devour him?

I nibbled at my bottom lip, eyes trailing over towards the oblivious Narvi. There was a wide smile on his flushed face, and that smile widened when he grabbed a sun dragon to dance with.

I looked back towards Evander, and even though the man seemed like he was trying to hide it, his lips twitched with displeasure, and he finished off the rest of his drink before he finally moved, causing me to tense. I relaxed, though, when he went to a table that had a bunch homecooked food on it, rather than towards the other dragon...though...my nerves were still on high alert.

It could very well be the overprotective nature of me, causing me to feel this way...but Narvi...he was a naive and innocent man, and I wasn't sure if he even knew what intense attraction even was. Not to mention, as I stated before, Evander and Aerylin were currently together, and while dragons didn't mind having multiple partners in their life...something about the way Evander had stared at Narvi just didn't sit right with me.

Was I overthinking things again? Maybe it wasn't interest that swirled in Evander's eyes. Maybe it was...disbelief that a moon dragon actually existed? I mean, they were believed to be a myth, and yet here was one, just dancing and drinking alcohol like it was no big deal.