Chapter Seven

Most people viewed their home as their "safe space" or a place where they could kick back and relax and put their troubles on a figurative back burner. When I envisioned what a home was, I always pictured a quaint, little place surrounded by trees or farmland, for some semblance of privacy. It would be made out of wood, and there would be these cute little pots filled with flowers on the windowsills.

That's what I envisioned when I thought about what a home should be.

My home, however, was nothing like what I dreamed about. Because I was royalty, my home was more of a statement of power and wealth, than anything else, and thus lacked the warmth and comfort it should have had.

Tucked between two ash-covered mountains, was my so called "home". The place where I grew up was massive in size, made out of obsidian and limestone, and marble, and once we pulled up, the familiarity of my childhood "home", a heavy weight settled in my chest, reminding me of what awaited me inside.

I was honestly a nervous reck returning here after I had left to get some semblance of peace...however, I had to remind myself why I was here, and why it was so important I returned in the first place.

Davian wouldn't have been able to journey here on his own, not with the dangerous people that were looking for him. And Cayden, no offence to him, didn't look the type to be able to fend off everyone that came looking for them. Not to mention, with his injury still in the process of healing, he was already at a disadvantage.

So, getting Davian home had fallen onto my shoulders.

Once the carriage was fully stopped, I took a deep breath and wiped my sweaty palms on my trousers as I looked to Davian—who was staring out of the carriage with mix of awe, and nerves.

"It'll be alright," I reassured him, although, I was secretly telling myself that as well. However, I wasn't going to admit that out loud.

Davian nibbled at his bottom lip and nodded, before he allowed himself to be helped off of the carriage by the draconic guard accompanying us. He then helped Cayden off and eventually offered me an arm, but I climbed down without his aid and nodded towards him before looking up at the castle I had grown up in.

Even when we were by the docks, the castle seemed to loom ominously in the background, and now that I was standing directly in front of it, it was definitely as massive as my father's will to have me take up the role of king. It was also so large, that even though I lived here a good chunk of my thirty-five years of life, I still didn't know how many rooms were in this place. There had to be well over a thousand rooms here, for family and staff, and that wasn't including the hidden rooms, or demolished rooms, or rooms that hadn't seen use in years.

It was a grand show of our royal wealth, and I personally hated how big the place was. Even with all our staff, it felt...I don't know...empty, and lonely.

After another deep, slow breath for me and I began leading our little group inside—watching as Davian eyed the statue of the first draconic king.

"That is king Alluen, the first dragon king. Rumor says he descended from the heavens in order to teach love and compassion to the "first people"," I told him, causing him to look at me curiously. "But like I said, it's all rumor, so who knows where he really came from.

Davian looked back at the statue, admiring the beauty of it, before I led them up the stone steps towards the large, arched door leading inside. I nodded towards the guards stationed there, and walked inside—exhaling slowly when greeted by the large, familiar interior.

A large crystal and obsidian chandelier swung overhead, lighting the place in a warm light. Two twisting staircases sat on either side of the large interior with large intricate carpets trailing down the center of the steps, and in the center of the room, just under the chandelier, was another statue of Alluen—this one far less grand than the one outside, depicting Alluen in robes, holding scrolls.