Chapter Twenty

I was adventurous at heart. I loved sailing across the seas to a new land to meet new people. I loved the sense of learning new cultures, and seeing the different forms nature took across the lands. But this journey so far was...kind of boring, to be honest.

We had been travelling for an entire week, thus far, and the repetitive nature of waking up, eating, and traveling on horseback was...mundane and lackluster. Half the time I would zone out, and Alaban's voice would eventually pull me from my head whenever he made a comment or pointed out some unique floral and fauna. I honestly thought there would be...more to this rescue mission, but it was the same thing, day in and day out.

I will say, however, despite the days being mostly mundane and quiet, with Alaban occasionally pointing out directions for us to follow...I did learn more about Alaban during the nights we settled down. For one, he was incredibly protective of his sister—which I kind of figured with how he had talked about her on day one. Then I learned that he actually had a sense of humor, whenever he deemed the time necessary, and we would talk back and forth about our lives and experiences, and it was nice to know that even having magic at their disposal...sun dragons were just like us. They were people too, and it helped me in those boring times spent traveling, to remember why I was on this journey in the first place.

It may be boring on the journey there...but it would be worth it in the end to reunite Alaban with his family.

And so, despite the dread that filled me every time I woke up, I still would gather my things, talk to Alaban, and ride until the sun dipped back below the horizon.

Today, we were about six or seven hours in our daily travel, when I began to see buildings raising from the ground about a mile or two ahead, which could only mean one thing:

A town.

A town meant a nice meal. It meant having a bed, and a bath to clean up in, and gods I needed that right about now. Not to mention our rations were falling a bit on the lower side, and a town would give us the opportunity to re-up our supply.

Filled with elation, I peered over to Alaban, who seemed to be lost in thought as he absentmindedly stared down at the map he held tightly in his hands.

"Hey Alaban."

The man in question blinked upon hearing my voice and peered over at me with those intense amber eyes. "What is it?"

I nodded towards the town. "Looks like we've got lucky. There's a town coming up in about a mile. I'm thinking a nice meal and a comfortable bed. Ooh, maybe a nice long bath too...what do you think? I mean, we also have to re-up our rations...and we need a break from this sun—I swear I've had a sun burn for the past three days."

Alaban folded the map and placed it in the inner pocket of his jacket—which I couldn't understand how he could wear that when it was so humid out—and stared at me intensely, before he cocked a blond brow and nodded. "I do see a bit of red across your cheeks." He sighed and looked towards the rising buildings. "I suppose we can indulge ourselves a night." He then grinned and gave me a sly look. "Besides, you definitely need a bath. I can smell you from here."

I snorted and rolled my eyes, a small smile pulling at the corners of my lips. "Ha, ha. I could say the same thing about you, you know. Ozone and pit sweat."

Alaban laughed and I couldn't help but laugh with him as we continued on, eventually coming up to the town in about thirty minutes. During that time, before we reached the outskirts, Alaban had altered his appearance yet again; donning the similar coloration he adorned when we had first left Ilsar.

His use of magic still impressed me, and I had to stop myself from gazing at the other man in awe—especially if he caught me staring at him, he would never let it go, and would no doubt tease me until I died from embarrassment.

But enough of my weird infatuation with his abilities. Once we started trotting amongst the townsfolk, I asked a few individuals if they could point me towards a tavern, or inn with available rooms. I had a couple of individuals who recognized me as the prince of Ilsar, but for the most part, people didn't spare me more than a look as we made our way to the inn we were guided towards.

Tall in its stature with a tall, draping roof, The Infidels Inn looked like a comfortable little spot—with vibrant green bushes with large blue flowers decorating its outside. And when we made our way inside, the interior was warm and homey with its warm browns and cream color palette.

Feeling a happy little smile form on my face, I made my way over to the bar and waited for the keeper to finish with a customer before she made her way over to me. A blue dragon, she was, with long flowing coral hair and pale skin, and blue freckles that dotted her cheeks and face. She was quite adorable, and it was difficult to ascertain what age she was.

"Hiya there! What can I get you?"

"Hello," I greeted her respectfully, "my...companion and I are wondering if you have any rooms available? We've traveled quite a distance and are a bit over sleeping alongside the road." I chuckled and shook my head. "Not to mention the both of us dreadfully need a bath."

The tavernkeeper grinned and chuckled at me, before nodding her head, causing some of those coral strands of hair to fall from her messy bun. "I completely understand you, sugar. We do indeed have a single room available, if you and your companion are alright with sharin'. Afraid everything else is all booked up for the night. It'll be a silver for the room, and y'all are welcome to use the bathing chambers—those would be down the hall from the rooms—and we also have free breakfast in the morning for our customers!" I paid her the silver—maybe a little extra as well for her warm, inviting attitude—and she slid me a silver key with a smile on her face. "Alright! Y'all are gonna be rooming in room fifteen, which is up the stairs and to your left. There should be blankets and pillows already set up in there, and if there's anythin' else y'all need, don't be shy and let us know!"

"Thank you so very much, we will do just that." I thanked her, before I found Alaban and waved the key in excitement. "Good news, they had available space...however..."

"They only had one room," Alaban finished, eyeing the key. He gently plucked it from my fingers and turned it over in his hand, probably looking for a room number.

"She said we're housed up in fifteen, and that we're free to use the baths as needed. Oh, and there's apparently free breakfast in the morning, which I'm actually hoping they have bacon because man I miss having bacon and eggs in the morning." I then stopped rambling, feeling a little awkward as I shifted my weight from one foot to the other. "I...hope you don't mind that it's only one room. If it's too awkward for you...I can try finding something else..."

Alaban shook his head and handed the key back to me. "It's alright. We share a tent, so what difference is a room?" He then paused and tilted his head. "However, you will need to take a bath first, because you reek."

"Yeah yeah, you too, Alaban. Do you want first go? I'm probably going to get myself a nice cold drink that isn't lukewarm water," I chuckled, handing him back the key.

Alaban relented, nodding as he took the key back from me. "Alright. I shouldn't be too long, then." He stared a me for a moment longer. "Don't stray too far."

I pouted. "But of course, father." I then smiled softly and nodded my head. "I'm not going to go far, I'll probably stick the bar—not for anything alcoholic, mind you...never again will I embarrass myself like that. We can get more supplies once we're both presentable."

Alaban nodded once. "Good. I'll be right back." And with that, he sauntered towards the stairs while I headed to the bar, ready for an ice cold, much needed drink.

A/N: Huhuhuhuhhuhuuuuuuu Look at me being on a roll here with these chapters latelyyyyyyy. I feel so proud lmao

Anywho, hope you all enjoy the chapterrrrrr! Lemme know what you think! I love feedbackkkkk!