Chapter Eleven

The day of the celebration arrived, and it was...chaotic. As soon as noon hit, the guest began arriving and gods there were so many. People all over the globe wandered the grand hall where the celebration was to take place. Elves, dwarves, kitsunes, humans...the halls were brimming with nobles of all kinds and there was talk that this was going to be the celebration of the century.

I was thankfully hidden away in my room, for the most part, fiddling around with the sleeves to my new silk shirt, wondering if I should switch this out for something more comfortable. Then again, father would probably have my head if I didn't wear it—considering we spent way more than we should have getting this tailored for me—so with a sigh, I pulled the dark grey, male corset over the shirt, and tied the laces to my trousers, already ready for the day to be over.

I wasn't much of a partier—which I know, is surprising. I just didn't care to be around a bunch of rich sobs, who all acted like their massive fortunes were so much of a burden to their luxusious lifestyles. If their coin was too much for them, then why not give to the working families struggling to survive?

I sighed and shook my head, glancing in the mirror to take in my overall look for the ball. A crimson silk shirt with billowy sleeves, covered by a dark grey, fitted corset and dark red trousers. It fit me perfectly, but again, that was to be expected considering this was tailored to my exact measurements. And I didn't really want an outfit made for me, since I preferred the more comfortable type of clothing. However, father was adamant that I looked "like royalty", so unfortunately comfort was out of the question.

I huffed, then nibbled at my bottom lip as I started thinking about what to do with my hair.

By the grace of the gods, though, a knock suddenly sounded on my door, drawing me from my thoughts as I forwent my hair and moved to open the door—eyes widening when I saw who was on the other side.

Davian stood there, hair pulled back and dressed in a strapless, glittering red gown, with a small smile on his face as he gave me a small wave. "Hey, uh, father wanted to me to inform you that he wishes to speak with you about an important matter, or whatever."

I blinked, still caught off guard by how grown up and gorgeous he was, and it took me a moment to gather my bearings and clear my throat. "Sorry, you just look...wow."

Davian blushed darkly and looked down at the gown—no doubt feeling shy. "Oh, um, t-thank you. Cayden was the one that suggested the color, 'cause he thought it went well with my complexion. A-And you look handsome as well."

I raised my brows. "Well he chose great, because you look gorgeous, Davian, and thank you. Though, I honestly would have preferred something a little more comfortable, but this is a joyous occasion now that you're finally home."

Again, Davian's blush deepened and he shyly averted his gaze, and I felt like the proudest big brother in the world. He was so grown now, and it was shocking and sad that I missed out on him growing up into this fine, wonderful man.

I had a weird urge to pull him into a hug, but I refrained and instead, scratched the back of my neck. "Oh, uh, what was it that father needed from me?"

Davian glanced at me. "He wants to speak to you in private. He said it was important, but he didn't really give me any details."

I frowned, that warm, brotherly feeling morphing into curiosity. "Ok, I wonder what he wants." I nibbled at my bottom lip and glanced back towards my little brother. "Where is he waiting for me?" I wondered as I stepped out of the room and gently closed the door behind me.

"He said to meet him in his chambers, since there's so many people around. Do...you want company as you walk there?"

I smiled towards him and held my arm out, allowing him to grab it as we began our journey to our father's room. People rushed past us—no doubt trying to get the final preparations in place—and other nobles stared at Davian and I as we passed them—each of them whispering amongst each other as they followed Davian with wide eyes. Some of them had looks of awe in their eyes, as if they hadn't expected Davian to return, others were confused, like they didn't realize the royal family had another child. The one that made me feel like a proud older brother was the people who stared at Davian like he was the most beautiful thing they had ever seen, and I knew deep down Davian no doubt felt embarrassed by the attention—as he always seemed to be—but he honestly deserved the attention. He had come so far since his time in the Northern Kingdom, and he deserved to know that people were seeing him as a prince and not some slave that had suffered by the hands of another.

Since the hallways were so packed, it took us a little while before we made it to father's room, and Davian actually accompanied me inside—much to my delight.

Father was in the middle of putting on his cape—which was an intricate mix of blues and reds, signifying himself and mother in its design—and under was a dark black silk shirt with red trimming that hugged his athletic frame.

He then turned to us, crimson eyes falling onto me before they shifted to Davian. "Thank you, my sweet boy. Ah, can you give the two of us five minutes alone? You can go ahead and make your way to your lover; the ball will be starting soon."

Davian nodded. "Of course, father." He looked at me, patted my arm, and let himself out, leaving just father and I staring at one another. "You...requested me?"

Father nodded and buttoned the cuffs to his shirt. "Ah yes, thank you for coming. I've...a proposition I wish for you to take into consideration, and I'm hoping you will spare me the time to explain what I'm wishing for."

Suddenly a sinking feeling dropped in the pit of my stomach and my anxiety decided to rear its nasty head. "What's your "proposition"?" I asked him quietly, watching as he poured himself a small glass of some kind of dark liquor.

He swirled the liquid around the glass, almost as if he was deep in thought, before he took a sip and raised that gaze towards me. "As you know, I've invited a wide variety of individuals here, between royals from other kingdoms as well as the most influential noble families in the world."

He paused, gaging my reaction as my gut sunk deeper.

"Drake is already married with two children, and our sweet Davian has his eyes set upon that human prince, he's so fond of." He tipped his glass towards me. "You are the heir to my throne, and yet you remain unmarried."

"What is your point, father?" I wondered, having a faint idea where this conversation was heading.

"The point is, you are thirty-five now, Drakell. It's about time you settled down and stopped frolicking around town with whomever you take a fancy to. Now, I've invited King Haymas and his children to come by and enjoy the festivities, and I want you to spend some time with his son."

I frowned, balling my hands into fists as a small ball of rage swelled within me. "Prince Harriot is already married."

Father shook his head and approached me. "I'm not talking about Harriot. I'm talking about Lumerian. I understand he's much younger than you, however, Lumerian is an astute and learned young man with many influences across the globe. Now, I'm not forcing you to approach him and immediately bend the knee, but at the very least, I want you to accompany him for the night. If anything blossoms between the two of you, even better. You're not getting any younger, son, and I know it's a lot for you to do this for me, especially after what has happened thus far. I just want you to think about this."

He gave me one long, stern look, patted my shoulder, then left the room—leaving me seething in anger. Did he really expect to force me into marriage? He was the one who believed in true love—which was why he got with mother in the first place. He wasn't forced into a loveless marriage with her, he loved her to the moon and back, and yet, here he was trying to force me into a marriage all because I hadn't settled down yet.

The rage was so intense within me, and I wanted nothing more than to track father down and explain to him how stupid and just plain wrong it was to force me into something that would impact the rest of my life. However...today was Davian's day, and I didn't want to ruin it for him by getting into yet another fight with our father. I wouldn't do that to him, which meant I had to play nice, if only for tonight. But one thing was sure, I wasn't going to marry Prince Lumerian. Especially since he was not only Davian's age, but someone father was trying to force me to betroth.

I walked over to the liquor father had poured himself. I stared at it, then poured myself and drink and downed it all in one go.

A/N: OOOHHH SHNAP, seems like daddio is trying to get Drakell to marry someoneeeeeee. Next chapter is going to be a fun one lol (Definitely not because Drakell is a lightweight when it comes to alcohol, or anything lmaoooo) Also, seems like that pic from last chapter will be in the next scene, not this one. (I get a little carried away lmaooo) But, it IS coming!! And boyyyy it's gonna be funnnnn

Anywho, hope you enjoyed the chapter! Lemme know what you think!! I love feedback!