Chapter Twenty-Four

I stared at Alaban, my mind blank and a sense of "huh?" flooding me as I looked between him, and this supposed "moon dragon". A moon dragon? There was no such thing as a moon dragon. Moon dragons were myths that were made up to give us a sense of wonderment as children. So, what the hell did Alaban mean when he said this poor, random guy was a moon dragon?

"Alaban, you can't just claim crazy, nonsensical things like that. A moon dragon? Really? Maybe he's just a super, super pale blue dragon?"

Alaban looked at me incredulously. "Moon dragons are real, they were just...forced into extinction over a millennia ago. I had heard stories about them, but they were always just that; stories." He shook his head in shock. "Moon dragons amplify a sun dragon's magic...makes any spell they wield more powerful. Gives it a sort of...kick, if you will."

Brows raised, I glanced over to this supposed "moon dragon" and watched as he approached our encampment curiously—pale hand poking at the tent material, as if he had never seen anything like it before. I then looked back at Alaban. "You truly think he's a moon dragon? I mean, what are the chances of that, if they're supposedly extinct?"

Alaban pursed his lips. "From the stories of my childhood, moon dragons were pale, ethereal-looking beings whose beauty were said to be unparalleled to any other." He peered past me. "The gods must have brought him to us for a reason. But why?"

I looked back towards the moon dragon, both Alaban and I watching him frown at the tent and begin rummaging through one of my bags. "Maybe for this journey? Your people? I-I don't know, I don't really talk about the gods or their plans. Hell, I don't even really follow any of the gods." I shrugged and looked back to Alaban. "So, what should we do with him?"

Alaban's golden gaze flickered to me, and after a moment, he flicked his wrist and the moon dragon yelped, causing me to glance over as Alaban magically floated his pack out of the curious dragon's hands. "You. What is your purpose with us?" He called out to the other man, causing his light eyes to peer curiously at him before they flickered to me.

Feeling awkward at the attention, I cleared my throat and approached the albino, hand out so he knew I wasn't going to hurt him. "Hey. Ah...do you have a name, maybe?" I pointed to myself. "My name is Drakell." I then pointed to Alaban, though the moon dragon's eyes remained on me. "That is Alaban." I pointed to him next and raised a brow, hoping he got the gist of what I was trying to ask him.

The dragon's gaze flickered down to my finger, and he gently raised his hand and grabbed it, before he slowly scooted towards me until my finger touched his chest—his skin warm to the touch. "Narvi," he muttered quietly, his voice light and soft as he slowly peered up at me.

My brows raised as relief washed over me, and I was happy that we finally had a name for him, instead of referring to him as the "moon dragon". I glanced down to where he still held my finger against his chest and awkwardly cleared my throat, trying to subtly pull my hand back to myself.

"Well, Alaban was just asking why you were here. Did you stumble upon us by accident? Were you...tracking us? Wait, I should probably ask you if you live around here, or something." I looked to Alaban for help, but he merely shrugged and trained his eyes back on Narvi, as if he was still in shock over the other's presence. "Are you lost?"

"I don't think he understands draconic," Alaban muttered after I received no response from Narvi—who was now reaching up to tug at my horns.

I gently grabbed his hands and pulled them down, since I wasn't in the mood to have my horns tugged. "How would he not know draconic?" I looked down at Narvi. "Can you understand what I'm saying?" When I received no answer still, I switched to speaking common, hoping there was at least some kind of language this dragon could understand.