Chapter Twenty-Nine

Have you ever had the kind of dreams that made you question just what the heck was going on while you were unconscious?

I was having one of those right now.

For some strange reason, I was no taller than a thimble, and I was in a dark room whirling around in circles as the darkness laughed at me. I also was apparently wearing some kind of fuzzy bunny suit that really didn't suit me in the slightest—pastels weren't normally my color. I wasn't sure what the context was for this, but normally my dreams were more...well, normal in comparison. I usually dreamt about things that happened in my life, or a weird alteration of them. Then again, there were always the occasion I would have an out of place dream like this, and I mean, I was probably due for one anyway.

So, I was weirdly content running around on legs shorter than my pinkie finger. Well, until I was snapped awake, that is.

At first, I wondered if there was another snake in the tent, and I could already feel my anxiety spiking at that mere thought...but then I felt movement beside me, and I turned to peer at Narvi as the moon dragon shifted in his sleep.

I frowned, though, when I saw those furrowed, pale brows, and tight lips. And he was moving around quite a bit and sweat dripped down his pale face, his breath rapid—as if he were in the middle of a horrid nightmare.

Feeling for the young dragon, I gently placed a hand on his shoulder and attempted to shake him awake—wincing with sympathy as a couple quiet whimpers escaped from between his slightly parted lips. "Hey, Narvi, wake up. You're alright, just wake up."

I nearly was smacked in the head as Narvi shot up, his pale eyes wide and frightened as if he had no idea where he currently was. I quickly grabbed him and pulled him towards me, dead set on calming the albino down before he woke Alaban up.

I already knew for sure the sun dragon would be a grouch if he were awakened in the middle of the night, and I would rather resolve this quietly and quickly before that could happen. Especially since I was still half asleep myself and had no mind to deal with his sassiness.

Anyway, I pulled Narvi to me, frowning at how rigid the other man was as he continued to whimper and mutter under his breath in broken draconic. "Bad, bad...a-all bad."

"Shhh," I tried to comfort as I rubbed soothing circles on his back, "you're alright, Narvi. I promise you're ok. It was only a bad dream, ok? You're absolutely fine."

I wasn't sure if it was the tone of my voice, or what I was saying...or even the way I was gently rocking with Narvi...but eventually the moon dragon calmed down—clutching me as if I were his only lifeline. He was still shaking, but he was no longer muttering in broken draconic, nor was he whimpering or crying...so I deducted this as a win as I stayed with him, gently rocking with him and reaffirming that he was fine and everything was ok.

After a few more moments, Narvi finally moved from me. And even though it was dark inside the tent, Narvi was pale enough that I could see the redness of his cheeks as he turned his face from me—no doubt embarrassed about the whole ordeal.

"Red," he eventually muttered, and in the dark I could barely see him raise his hand to gently poke his cheek.

I scooted closer to him. "There's no need to feel embarrassed, you know. I have nightmares every now and then too."

I saw a glint as Narvi glanced back towards me, listening to what I was saying.

"You just had a bad dream, is all. It's ok." Once I was back by his side, I peered closer towards his face. "I know you don't know much draconic, or common...but, I'm here if you ever..." I pursed my lips and ran my fingers through my hair. "What am I even saying, how will you talk to me if you barely know any kind of language?"

I looked up as Narvi placed his hand over mine, his skin warm to the touch. "Dream bad. Me..." he nibbled at his bottom lip as he mentally tried to find the right word. "Me ok."

I relaxed and let out a breath, before I nodded and patted Narvi's hand. "That's good. That's...yeah, that's good." I looked at him. "You'll tell me if you're not good, right? If you have a bad dream again...remember, I'm right here with you, ok?"

Narvi slowly nodded before he moved his hand to my cheek. "Sweet."

And now it was my turn for my cheeks to burn, and I turned my gaze away; embarrassed. "Ah, we should probably get back to bed before we wake Alaban up."

"Too late for that," said man muttered tiredly as the inside of the tent lit up with small, golden globules of light. "What is going on? Anything to be concerned about?"

I shook my head and quickly peeked at Narvi, before turning my attention back towards the sun dragon. "It's nothing major. Narvi just had a nightmare, and I got him calmed down. We're actually about to head back to bed. Sorry if we disturbed you."

Surprising me, Alaban shook his head, not at all looking upset. "It's fine, these things happen. Is he alright?"

Blinking in surprise, I nodded—touched by his concern for the other man. "Huh? Yeah, he's alright."

Alaban nodded and began to settle back down. "That's good. Good, good, good..." his words slowly faded as he fell back asleep, and the lights he had conjured up died out and returned the tent to it's darkened state.

I felt an amused smile form on my lips, but I wasn't about to stay up for much longer, as I was still pretty tired from the events of...today? Yesterday? But alas, I settled back down myself and got comfortable as Narvi snuggled against me—his face against the center of my back as he chose to be the "big spoon" for tonight. Which I was fine with being the one cuddled, and if that's how Narvi wanted comfort, then that was quite alright with me.

I smiled softly to myself and peered over to Alaban, who slept with his arm over his head and horns. Definitely not a comfortable position by any means, and he was no doubt going to feel it in the morning. His reaction had surprised me, though. I honestly half expected him to be a bit grouchy at being woken up, especially since it delt with Narvi and all. But the fact that he asked if the moon dragon was alright...that just showed me he didn't mind the other's presence, and that made me happy to know that.

Not to mention he was...cute when he was half asleep. Not that I would ever tell him that, though.

Still smiling, I mentally shook my head and closed my eyes, ready to will myself to go back to sleep for another long day in the morning. Sleep that came to me quite quickly, as I laid comfortably under Narvi's arm.

A/N: Kind of a filler chapter, imo. But, I'm slowly expanding the world off script lol. And Narvi's "nightmare" kind of plays into that--but we'll get to that later lol

Anywho, hope you all enjoyed the chapter! Lemme know what you think! I love feedback!