Chapter Twelve

I wasn't really the best when it came down to my tolerance for all things alcoholic. I was a...lightweight, if you will. So after that stolen glass from father's room—which let me tell you, it burned when it went down—I was feeling just a tad bit...tipsy. Not enough to be completely without my wits, but enough to calm me down so that I didn't track father down and give him a piece of my mind over this whole "Lumerian" thing.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've met Lumerian once when our fathers were discussing trade routes and other business, and he was the typical "pretty blond elf" and all...but he was much too young for me. I was thirty-five, and he was nineteen like Davian, which was much too young for my particular tastes. I very much preferred men closer to my age, or older, even.

Besides, what made father think that I would even agree to such a ludicrous thing? Did King Haymas offer up something good for the unionization of our families.

That's what it had to be, because father didn't believe in forced marriages. At least, he didn't used to.

The time for the celebration arrived and I begrudgingly began making my way to the crowded ballroom to sit in the overly bejeweled seat next to my parents. When I did so, father spared me a look and nodded, before he turned to the crowd and stood up—causing the room to fall into a hush.

Standing tall, he surveyed the room before he lifted a glass of wine, a smile blossoming on his face.

"I want to thank everyone for blessing us with your presence, especially on such short notice. However, this is a joyous occasion, as the gods have answered our prayers." His smile widened, and he walked over to where Davian sat—next to our mother—and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. "As you know, many years ago Maria and I lost our littlest dragon to the wilds. For years, we have searched for any sign of his life, and just as our hopes were slowly growing heavier the more time went on without our little boy by our side, the gods graced us with a miracle. I want you all to join us in welcoming back the youngest draconic prince of our fine kingdom; Prince Davian Valkeria!"

The crowd erupted in cheers, and even I had a small smile on my face as Davian blushed and shyly waved to everyone.

"I am so overjoyed to have my little dragon home, and I am glad all of you are here to celebrate alongside us!" Father took a swig of his wine. "Let the celebration begin!"

First was the dinner. Extravagant in its selection, filled with only the best that royalty can afford. There was live music, and people dancing with easy going smiles as they giggled and twirled around. Davian and Cayden even joined them on the floor, and that left me awkwardly sitting at the table, pushing my food around my plate with a fork.

"I think it's about time you asked Lumerian for a dance," father spoke from next to me—his crimson gaze never leaving plate as he ate. "I wasn't kidding when I suggested getting to know him, Davian, and I am not sure how long the elven royal family will stay."

I stopped moving my food around, and shot my father a side glance. I didn't want to fight with him, not on Davian's special day—even though I really wanted to—so with a dragged out sigh, I guzzled the rest of my wine and made my way over to where the Elven royal family sat.

King Haymas and his husband King Julien were both beautiful and regal in appearance—then again, most elves were, with their slim faces and larger eyes. Haymas' fine blond hair was pulled up into a half-up, half-down kind of do, with the lose curly strands framing his thin, pale face. He seemed to be in the middle of a conversation with Julien, who laughed and glanced at my approach with forest green eyes.

I nodded towards the both of them, bowed to show respect, and turned my attention to their youngest and the man of the hour—so to speak—Lumerian.

While he was younger than me by a large number of years, I would be lying if I said he wasn't beautiful. He was blond like his father Haymas, although his hair was more wave than curl, and he opted to have it fully down to frame his slender face, with his bangs brushed strategically over his lavender eyes. He even looked the part of royalty in his dark blue, and silver ensemble that hugged his slim body.