Chapter Forty-One

The next morning, I felt...rejuvenated. Which probably sounds weird, considering I didn't exactly get that much...well...sleep last night. However, as I finally began to come to the world of consciousness, I felt relaxed, thoroughly sated, and...I felt content. More at ease than I had felt in quite some time, even.

I was elated. And even though I had yet to open my eyes, I wanted to snuggle closer to the warm body pressed against mine.

Alaban. The man who had stolen my heart.

His confession from last night had my stomach filling with warm butterflies, and as I opened my eyes, his dark, sleeping face came into view. He looked incredibly peaceful. And I noticed with an amused smile forming on my lips, that the man drooled—a trait I found absolutely adorable as I gazed at him warmly.

I loved this man. I loved him, and it was so refreshing to finally admit to that after what Cyrus had put me through. It felt like a weight I didn't even know I had been carrying came off my chest, leaving me feeling elevated and...even excited.

Oh, but how mortal thoughts could wander.

I was...a prince. I still had to return home at some point. I knew that. But...I was a selfish man, and part of me even wondered if I should go back. I had found love after all this time; how could I give it up for a position I didn't even want?

This kind of chance wouldn't come up again, of that I had no doubt. A life of tranquility and peace and simplicity with the man I loved? I doubted my name meant all that much amongst a small village of people who lived beyond the world of royal titles and fulfillment. A simple life. A wanted life.

Father could pass the mantle on to Drake. Mother would eventually forgive me. And Davian...he was a very capable and smart man. And he...also had magic—something I still couldn't fully understand. He would find a way to reach out to me, I was sure of it.

Me dying...I deserved this life. I deserved not to live my life the way I wanted to live it. I wanted this. I needed this. And dammit, I was going to have it.

A sudden peace washed over me as I lifted my hand and gently touched his cheek, his nose twitching as I did so. And after a couple minutes of silent contemplation, I made a move to sit up—only for Alaban's head to lift with mine, causing me to realize with embarrassment, that sometime in the middle of the night, our horns had tangled together.

Alaban immediately snapped awake, his amber eyes opening wide as he gasped and instinctually grabbed our horns.

My cheeks were immediately red, and I felt utterly embarrassed for even being in this situation. "Alaban, I-I'm sorry, i-it seems we got a-a little tangled, ha-ha. Ah, gods, sorry—"

"Why are you saying sorry for? This was bound to happen eventually." His tone was light—though still heavy with sleep—as he spoke in tired amusement, his hands expertly twisting his horn out from over mine—finally freeing the both of us.

And we both stared at each other, before laughing at the absurdity of it all. When we both finally calmed down, we watched each other softly, before Alaban finally spoke. "Hi."

I chuckled. "Hello."

Alaban looked incredibly awkward, as he twiddled his fingers, his gaze now locked onto them. "S-So, about last night, I-I..."

"I enjoyed it," I spoke softly, causing the sun dragon to peek towards me. "I really enjoyed it, and I enjoyed you...and I'm glad I was finally able to admit my feelings. And...overjoyed when you felt the same way. I love you, Alaban."

I could almost swore I saw those obsidian cheeks darken further, but the smile on his face was warm and shy. "I love you too, Drakell."

I scooted closer to him, and gave him a slow kiss—the man immediately leaning in. When we pulled away, I had a smile on my face as I leaned back, raising my brows. "We should probably get dressed and get some food. I'm starving."

Alaban nodded, and nibbled his bottom lip—my gaze immediately tracking that motion. "I think that's a grand idea."

I smiled, then began to search for wherever the heck my clothes ended up. What I saw first, was definitely not my clothes...but a pale moon dragon who sat against a trunk, with two bowls of steaming...something...in his hands. His gaze was locked on us, his demeanor calm and relaxed.

I immediately blushed darkly, not having had expected him to be there—and with food no less. When had he shown up? And why hadn't we heard him? Were moon dragons usually so quiet with their movements? Or...Had he been there the whole time?

"N-Narvi? Uh....good morning? I-I, uh...y-you brought breakfast?" I stammered, scrambling to yank my—recently found—trousers on, while Alaban merely sat calmly by my side—his curiosity peaked as he turned his gaze to the new—or old?—arrival.

The moon dragon in question gazed down at the two bowls in his hands. "I figured...you...hungry?"

I blinked and watched as Alaban—with no shame in his nudity—stood up and approached Narvi, who calmy got on his feet and handed the man a bowl. "Thank you, Narvi. That was kind of you." Alaban told him—much to my surprise, and when the man caught wind of my reaction, he merely raised a brow. "What? Can I not be in a good mood?" He wondered, prompting me to—once I had my trousers on—rush to accept the other bowl.

"I-I didn't say that." I turned to Narvi—my cheeks still burning in embarrassment. "A-and thank you Narvi."

Narvi nodded, a small smile on his lips. Though, something felt off, as if his smile was more of a grimace.

"Are you alright, Narvi?"

Narvi's gaze snapped to me, before they flickered to the side, his lips pulling into a frown. "Hurt," he murmured, lightly tapping the side of his head.

I frowned, before I remembered the night prior. Oh. That's right. Narvi had consumed quite a bit of alcohol, and had been intoxicated. Being someone who grew up alone in the wild, had the moon dragon ever had alcohol before? I doubted it, and that would mean that last night was his first time taking part in it, which meant he had no knowledge of the consequences of intaking too much. He had no idea he was experiencing his first hangover.

"I see. You're having your first hangover. You're probably experiencing a headache right now... Do you feel nauseous right now? Is your stomach also hurting?" I asked him, and he glanced to the side and nodded. I looked to Alaban. "We should get him something to eat. I find oatmeal often helps me alleviate a bit of the nausea. Does...do you all have a way to get oatmeal?"

Alaban nodded and tilted his bowl. "I would say yes. And I know just the person to make it, as her recipes have helped me on quite a bit of occasions." He then handed me his bowl, so he could get dressed—and yes, I was a mere man so I...may have strayed my sight a bit...and when Alaban's gaze crossed paths with mine, I blushed and awkwardly cleared my throat, handing the man his bowl.

"O-Okay, lead the way..." I gestured with my bowl, causing a smile to flicker back on Alaban's lips, before he gently tapped Narvi's arm.

"My sister will get you back to feeling better, Narvi, don't you worry." His gaze flickered to me, so full of warmth, and he gestured with his head, before spooning some of his breakfast in his mouth. And to Aerylin's we trekked. Content. Happy. Free.

A/N: Dawwwwwww, these boys are such cute little dorks!!!!